• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molar extraction??? U/D molar successfully removed!!!

nina83

Warren Scout
Has anyone nursed a bunny who's had a molar removed....what can i expect post surgery

Last edited:
how is she doing? Jack had her incisors out on friday and is not impressed with me. is she eating ok etc?

She's very subdued and can't eat but we were expecting that.

She's got a molar that kept growing to a point and cutting into her cheek making her bleed and not eat etc she's had about 8 dentals since August 2007 so vet today said she'd try and remove it with it being the same tooth all the time.

Just wondering now whether i need to syringe feed her all through the night :roll:

Has anyone nursed a bunny who's had a molar removed....what can i expect post surgery

Hi. My rabbit had two molars removed about six weeks ago and he only started eating hard pellets, hay, grass and greens again last week....so it can be a long recovery process. I syringe fed the night after the operation and also for the next couple of days (even though he was picking at food here and there). I then started offering his pellets softened in hot water (cool before giving) and also some organic vegetable baby food daily in order to keep his weight up (as directed by my vet). On top of that always offered soft veg such as cucumber/cougette/grated carrott etc. with a teeny bit of pear/strawberry/banana to try and tempt! My vet gave him a very poor prognosis so I am pleased with his recovery and keeping my fingers crossed. I hope your bunny feels better soon.

Thanks Herbert's mum, we're amazed how well she's recovering she's eating normally, i've decided she must have been in so much pain before that any pain she's got now is minute in comparison. She's like a different bunny instead of spending all day asleep under the chairshe's now noseying in everything and keeps jumping on the settee with me for a cuddle, she's even ventured into the new conservatory. She goes back on Fri for a check up but she's doing wonderful. I really hope things continue to improve for you buns xxx

Back