• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bunnies

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi 👋🏻

I have two almost identical Dutchies (sisters) who are 18 months old. A couple of months ago at a routine check, my vet spotted molar spurs on both of their teeth. I’m very strict about pellets and they are both good hay eaters, so we can only conclude it’s genetic. They both had dentals two months ago and are now showing signs of spurs again :(. My question is how can I prolong the time between dentals as obviously I don’t want them to keep having anaesthesia. As I say, I’m pretty strict so I’m not sure what else to do? X

Unfortunately if the problem is congenital malocclusion there is not a lot more you can do other than to keep up the good hay based diet. Allowing grazing on fresh grass too, the silica content of fresh grass aids dental attrition.

It is important that the Dentals are done by an experienced Rabbit Savvy Vet as what is specifically done during the procedure will not always be the same. Knowing exactly how to shorten and reshape the molar crowns is essential. Taking skull radiographs can assist monitoring of the tooth roots and the progression of any tooth root elongation.

Thank you JJ 👍🏻 Luckily, he is an excellent rabbit-savvy vet (I spent a lot of time researching after my last one left the profession and although I have to travel a bit further, he’s worth it!).

I will get them on the grass as well then (they are house rabbits) :)

With molar malocclusion the gaps between dentals can vary greatly. Just because this time problems have recurred relatively quickly it doesn’t mean this will always be the case. A Rabbit Savvy Vet will also take extra precautions if frequent GAs are needed eg regular blood profiles to check renal function and using the optimum GA protocol and support to try to minimise the impact of a lot of GAs on the overall health of the Rabbits.

As you are well informed about diet and you have a Rabbit Savvy Vet I am sure your girls’ dental problems can be managed even if they cannot be fully resolved. Far more problems occur when a care giver is not aware of the importance of hay and grass for a Rabbit, does not recognise possible Dental problems at an early stage and does not realise that not all Small Animal Vets are Rabbit Savvy. Your girls are lucky to be with you as you will insure they receive the best care to try to minimise the rate at which congenital dental problems progress.

As you are well informed about diet and you have a Rabbit Savvy Vet I am sure your girls’ dental problems can be managed even if they cannot be fully resolved. Far more problems occur when a care giver is not aware of the importance of hay and grass for a Rabbit, does not recognise possible Dental problems at an early stage and does not realise that not all Small Animal Vets are Rabbit Savvy. Your girls are lucky to be with you as you will insure they receive the best care to try to minimise the rate at which congenital dental problems progress.

Thank you xx

I ended up removing pellets completely and going to a fully wild diet!
Its exhausting but I didn't want my girls to go through anaesthetic ever 2 months. It ended up going down to every 6 months, then every year. But it's exhausting and you have to really keep on top of making it was varied as possible.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Its exhausting but I didn't want my girls to go through anaesthetic ever 2 months. It ended up going down to every 6 months, then every year. But it's exhausting and you have to really keep on top of making it was varied as possible.

Oh wow?? Really?? That’s amazing and I will do anything to try and space them out. Vet did say no pellets…mine get about 10 each every day as I’m worried about vitamins, etc, but if I could do without totally, I’d do it! If you have any more advice, that would be gratefully received 😁

Hi, may I ask how did you do that? I have been trying many ways but my bun still refuses to eat hay.

Back