• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back Injuries? *Help please*

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Stripes injured her back sometime over last weekend :(

She is confined to cage rest until 4.15pm tomorrow when we have to leave for the vets again.

Now she's in a very small cage, big enough to hop to the end and lay out fully but not big enough for me to be happy :?

She was given an injection of Dexafort to reduce the inflamation in her back and I'm to give her metacam if she seems in pain, she seems quite happy to be in the small cage and spends a lot of her time sleeping, the vet didn't give me any indication of what might happen if the swelling doesn't go down and I was to worried to think of asking, she was just given three days to improve, does any one know what could happen if her back doesn't improve?

Do you think I could let her have a few minutes out to stretch her legs while I clean her out or does she still need to be confined? Obviously I don't want to risk any more damage to her already hurt back

Last edited:
I am sorry to say, Basil, an outdoor hutch bunny hurt his back, we wonder if he fell off his ladder in the two storey hutch. The vet checked him out and felt there was no need for an xray at the time as he could move his back legs. We syringe fed him all weekend (he was also dosed with painkillers) by Monday Basil was no better at all. I took him straight to the vet, who then did an xray to discover Basil had a broken back. :cry:
Basil needed to be PTS he was so much in pain and it was the kindest for Basil.

I would still confine her Gem as it's best not to irritate the rest she has had.

While you clean her out put her in a carrier with either vetbed or a thick towel in - clean out as quickly as possible and then pop her back in - it's not worth taking a chance:)

Do you need the vetbed back Gem????

How did you notice was hurt! Was anything obvious!

Hope gets better soon!

Say if want vetbed it no probs!

No thanks Caroline :D

I've got some more somewhere, seem to have it coming out of my ears :roll:

I noticed she was walking/ hopping funny first of all then she wasn't putting any pressure on one back foot :(

She's bright and perky and as freaked out as she usually is, so I'm not majorly bothered

Hi Gem. I would be inclined to confine her until you've been given the all clear by the vet. Sending you vibes.

Cheers guys :thumb:

Only a tiny bit of improvement :cry: She's got another five days of cage rest, poor baby is going to think she's being abused :(

Vet thinks the swelling is going down and is hoping she'll return to normal

Okay, so she went back to the vets last thursday.

David said the swelling on her back has reduced but not gone completely, he gave her another injection of Dexafort and asked me to keep her in her cage for the next five days :(

She is now on profleece as Jay suggested which she seems to adore

I got up today and she was obviously much much worse. She was lying with her back legs under her and out to the side, like buns do when they're relaxed but it looked like her whole back end had collapsed.

I took her to the emergency vet and he didn't seem too concerned, she's still got voluntary movement in both her back legs and he couldn't find any swelling on her spine.

He's changed her meds from Dexafort to Metacam, thinking she might be in a fair bit of pain.

Since I've had her home she seems to have lost control of her bladder, she's not moving away from where she's weed :roll:

I'm struggling to keep her clean now, she's currently on one of my pillows while I wash her towels and profleece.

She can't half move when she wants, I put her on the pillow while I took her profleece out of her cage and she took off up the garden :roll: :oops:

I'm going to need to give her bottom a wash later but I'm scared of hurting her back even more :(

Is there anything else I should be doing for her? Any other ways of keeping her clean?

Back