• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Nettles and Brambles as food?

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
I have unlimited supplies of wild nettles and brambles all year around; is there any reason why I can't give to Flopsy and Topsy? The plants are untreated and away from roads/contamination.........I have read some of the previous posts on these plants and there seems to be conflicting advice as to whether these greens should be limited/avoided?

Not sure on the nettles, I know you can buy nettle pellets but my two hate them.

Bramble/blackberry leaves are very good for rabbits with diarrhoea, I wouldn't feed them tonnes but they are safe and, if my lot are anything to go by, rabbits love them.

Nettles and brambles are fine, but be sure to wash them thoroughly if you've taken them from the wild in case there are any nasties on them!!:lol:

Found this on stinging nettles.

Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica and Urtica urens): Unpopular with gardeners but a precious medical plant! It contains lots of mineral salts, it increases the milk of the does, helps the young rabbits to build up strong bones, it is blood-cleansing, stimulates the blood formation, the metabolism and the digestion. Cut the nettles before blooming and let them dry. This nettle hay is very popular with our rabbits. As they are also excellent forage plants for many sorts of butterfly larvae, in every garden nettles should be allowed to grow in a corner.

Taken from http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/pglaus/apothekee.htm
Bunny Pharmacy.

Back