• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bed Eating

nicholas

New Kit
Hi
I have a nursing Californian doe. This is my 1st Calif litter. I've always used shredded paper as a part of rabbit bedding but since the birth she's started chewing/eating paper shreds. It's not too compulsive - perhaps she gets through the equivalent of an A6 sheet per day. She seems happy enough on it. She gets plenty of other normal food. Perhaps it's just a nursing/post-natal thing. Has anyone any experience of this to suggest if this is harmless or not? Given the stuff rabbits are capable of digesting (hay, dandelions, bindweed, bramble leaves etc) it's hard to believe a little paper could hurt but I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience of this.

Gnawing

Can someone please help me i have a lionhead doe ie eating her way through her hutch we seem to be repairing in every weekend :cry: we have gave her plastic toys which she does play with. wooden blocks and gnawing vegatables but to no avail does she stop. we will either have to pull her teeth out or have to get a stainless steel hutch :lol:
Please help before we are left with just the wire off her cage!!!

Persoanlly, I wouldn't let a bunny eat too much paper. My bun Rosie used to eat any card or paper she had access to - even though she had plenty of stimulation and company. She had a couple of episodes of stasis, and although I can't say that the paper was responsible, I have my suspicions. So I'd keep a close eye if I was you.

Can someone please help me i have a lionhead doe ie eating her way through her hutch we seem to be repairing in every weekend :cry: we have gave her plastic toys which she does play with. wooden blocks and gnawing vegatables but to no avail does she stop. we will either have to pull her teeth out or have to get a stainless steel hutch :lol:
Please help before we are left with just the wire off her cage!!!

hi i have 2 lionheads and i give them wooden blocks an everything and mine DONT gnaw:roll: maybe she could be bored? :wave:

Why not give her straw rather than paper?

As for hutch eating - give the rabbit some fruit tree branches or hazel - they love it :)

x

Back