• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have now got my rabbit YIPPEE

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I posted the other day about rehoming a rabbit from friends of ours (who are moving) they rehomed her from their neighbours not so long ago. Any way
they told me it was male, but they are wrong it's def a female.
The people i got her off had her given to them by their neighbour. and they got her originally from the rspca, so I am presuming she has been neutered before rehomed, I dont think theres any way to tell without her going under anesthetic though. I dont want to ring the rspca to find out as I'm pretty sure they should of returned her to them instead of rehoming her themselves. They might want to take her off me. (will be rehoming another from them in the future to pair up)
Anyway she is gorgeous, she is an agouti lop, not sure which breed yet as not great with lop breeds, i suspect shes a french lop though, She is quite large, don't know if she is supposed to be or shes a little plump.I will post pictures soon, and you can all help me with her breed.
She is called Mitch, If she knows her name I will probably keep the name, if she doesn't know it I will change it, maybe to Dobby.
Will try and put photos up this weekend. She has a 6ft hutch and run cover and all, she is snugled in for the night. Her hutch doesn't have a bedroom compartment, just all open, I have put my large animal carrier at one end filled with straw and hay, is this a good idea or do you think it is not necessary? I thought it will keep her warmer, but didn't want to fill up too much space.
Is there anyway that I can tell if shes been neutered or not??????
Thanks guys

I don't think there is any way to tell if she's been neutered without anesthetic, though you could check to see if she has a scar on her belly or if the fur is different as they have to shave it off for the op and sometimes it grows back slightly different to the rest of coat.

The animal carrier sounds a good idea if you don't have an enclosed part of the hutch. As long as she has plenty of space in the hutch with the carrier in there.

I'm fairly sure rabbits don't know their own names, but she might recognise the the sound of her name as meaning her so if you change it it might be worth changing it to another one syllable name with similar sounds.

I hope you have a great time with your new bunny.

The only way of telling if she's been spayed without opening her up is to call the RSPCA.
I doubt at all that they'd ask you for her back - they'll probably just update their records with you as the new owner and be glad she has got a new home.
Not all RSPCA's can afford to neuter so she may still be entire, and you really need to know if you are going to get her a friend, as she'll need to be neutered for a successful bonding.
Good luck with your new addition, and the carrier thing is a good idea - they need somewhere warm to snuggle in this weather

Hi, Thanks guys, yes there is plenty of room with the pet carrier in the hutch, I am hoping she will be snuggly as it will be cold tonight, I have also covered her with a sleeping bag aswell as her hutch cover to help keep some heat in.
So you should think I should get in contact with the rspca, and ask if they have any records on her? I didn't know who she was rehomed from until today, when I got her vaccination card which is an rspca one, I have been in contact with them recently about rehoming another for company, thought I would be searching for a girl not a boy though.the only info it had on the card was her name and vaccination dates.
I want to train her to learn her name, I used to have a house rabbit who used to come running when called, I know it will be different as she is an outside bunny, but would be nice if she knew her name, just don't really like the name Mitch.

Back