• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits outside in winter

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi I am new here, and will soon be rehoming a rabbit.
I cannot keep the hutch in the shed over winter as the guinea pigs are in there, and theres no more room (he is being kept outside at the moment so is used to it). So will have to stay outside when I get him, He has a large hutch with a run attached.When I have had bunnies before they have been put in a shed over winter or have been house bunnies. I know I will worry about him being warm enough.Any advice on ensuring he stays really warm, other than keeping his bedroom filled with dry fresh hay, covering over with an old duvet and a tarpaulin too. If anyone can give me any other tips I would be grateful. Also do you all lock the bunnies away in their hutches through the night? for safety? or do you let them access the run?
I have found out today that my hubby is bringing him home on Friday so I am very excited.
I will keep you updated

If the bunny has been kept indoors in the rescue, they can not be put straight outside because their winter coat has not matured. If however it's been kept outside, it's fine to put him/her straight outdoors. Plenty of straw and hay is called for in winter. A simple duvet and tarpulin is great for warmth and cover at night. I lock the hutch up for safety and piece of mind. Good Luck with your new rabbit!!! Welcome to the forum!! :wave:

ahh thanks, yes he is used to being outside, so will do everything mentioned, and I hope I don't fret about him being cold.
If it's raining do you still allow access to the run? do they mind getting wet? will it make them ill?

If you want to put him in the run just make sure that part of it is protected from the rain. Most rabbits dont mind getting a bit wet but not to get soaked. val

I've got 2 outside in hutches and so long as you cover them at night with rugs etc. they will be fine if they've been out all winter - they'll have a nice thick coat - mine do like a splash of boiling water from the kettle in their drinking bowl though, just to take the edge off it - I call it their morning cuppa :)

Personally I don't like warm water in their bowls/bottles as I find it freezes quicker if its really cold. As long as your bun has his winter coat he should be fine so there's no need to fret. I worried a bit about Bluebell as its his first winter but he seems to have taken it in his stride! I still let him out when its wet, just make sure he's got somewhere to shelter if it rains. Sometimes I have to dry him off a bit as the daft thing seems to like the rain and quite often opts to sit out in in! The main things you've already got sussed, extra bedding, cover the hutch etc so I've no doubt you'll have a very well looked after bunny. Good Luck.

Personally I don't like warm water in their bowls/bottles as I find it freezes quicker if its really cold.

I don't understand what you mean, surely you don't want the water to freeze?

If the rabbit has been kept outside maisydaisystar then he or she will be fine with lots of nice hay and straw and a cover :wave:

Outsides great!

Outside is great if thats where they are used to - mine even enjoy playing in the snow (not that we've had any this year) and sit in the rain (out of choice!!). However a lone bun will loose heat quicker than a pair who huddle together for warmth . . . so maybe you could find room for a warming companion??

twigs

I don't understand what you mean, surely you don't want the water to freeze?

If the rabbit has been kept outside maisydaisystar then he or she will be fine with lots of nice hay and straw and a cover :wave:

:DNO what Amy means is that is freezing temperatures, warm water freezes more quickly than cold water. Rog explained the physics behind it, but I'm afraid I glazed over!!

I keep my girls outside all year.
If they're used to being outside, it's actually healthier for them to stay there than to suddenly go indoors where it's hot:D

Outside is great if thats where they are used to - mine even enjoy playing in the snow (not that we've had any this year) and sit in the rain (out of choice!!). However a lone bun will loose heat quicker than a pair who huddle together for warmth . . . so maybe you could find room for a warming companion??

twigs

hi, yes i will be pairing him up with a neutered famale once he has been neutered himself.
Is it ok to bring him into the house in winter for a cuddle or will the temperature change make him ill?

my two live outside in the summer, but have the outhouse in the winter. they do still come in the house every night for cuddles and to chase each other round the sofa!!! I just make sure that its not too warm in the house.

Alot of people on here don't recommend it as rabbits can suffer from rapid changes in temp. I bring mine in everynight for a cuddle with no probs tho, I just make sure I don't have the heating on full blast!

You could get a snugglesafe heatpad too just to give yourself peace of mind. Saying that i got one for my bunnies and all they do is pee on it :lol:

my two live outside in the summer, but have the outhouse in the winter. they do still come in the house every night for cuddles and to chase each other round the sofa!!! I just make sure that its not too warm in the house.

I do have a utility/shed attached to the house the temperature in there is between 10 and 15 degrees, so not as hot as the house at this time of the year, I could let him run around in there, and have cuddles, The guinea pigs are in there during winter, and I use the floor space for them to get their exercise every day too.

Back