• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Tarquin - U/D Monday

Becca6

Mama Doe
Tarquin isn't himself tonight. He's been eating and pooing as normal all day. I've been to my mum and dad's for a few hours and I've come home and he isn't right.

He's not eaten or pood since I came home at eight and is just lying down - gave him a cuddle and put him back in his cage and he laid down with his front feet in his water bowl.

I'm trying not to panic but feeling a bit sick.

Been making him run round and have given him tummy rubs and Infacol. He's drinking more than I'm used to seeing and weeing. Have just syringe fed Science Recovery which he took quite well.

Any other ideas? I think it's going to be a long night. :(

Last edited:
Tarquin isn't himself tonight. He's been eating and pooing as normal all day. I've been to my mum and dad's for a few hours and I've come home and he isn't right.

He's not eaten or pood since I came home at eight and is just lying down - gave him a cuddle and put him back in his cage and he laid down with his front feet in his water bowl.

I'm trying not to panic but feeling a bit sick.

Been making him run round and have given him tummy rubs and Infacol. He's drinking more than I'm used to seeing and weeing. Have just syringe fed Science Recovery which he took quite well.

Any other ideas? I think it's going to be a long night. :(

Does he feel unusually warm ?
Is he weeing in his normal place or just any-where?

Janex

Does he feel unusually warm ?
Is he weeing in his normal place or just any-where?

Janex

If anything he feels slightly colder than usual though I may be imagining that as I'm panicking a little. That bun means so much to me and though he's had a few episodes of not eating and needing meds, this is different.

He's on the bed with me and weed where he normally does (the bed is covered in an old duvet and towel to protect it - I bung it all in the wash a couple of times a week).

He's washed himself to get rid of the Science Recovery that missed his mouth.

Come on Tarquin! You can't be poorly - Squidgy says that Black nethies are tougher than tough, and have a reputation to uphold!

I hope you feel better soon little bun. Don't worry your mummy please.

After a very restless night (me, not Teenie :)) I've got up this morning to poos - yay! :D I actually thought I was going to lose him last night he went downhill so fast. Thank god for this site where I've learnt about Infacol, tummy rubs and making them run around, even if it makes you feel rotten when they obviously don’t want to - I'd never have done that before and I really think I'd have lost him. To see a bunny so weak that when he went to his water bowl he was sitting with both front feet in it is very upsetting - he didn't seem concerned that he was up to his tummy in water. He looked very sleepy all evening as though he could hardly keep his eyes open and every time he moved he just sank down as though he had no energy. :( I can't believe that at four in the afternoon he was being his normal mischievous self and then at eight he looked like that.

I syringe fed him again just before midnight - and that time he put up more of a fight and ended up with loads of it down his front and round his mouth, but I took that as a good sign as the first time he just let me do it. He had more Infacol and lots and lots of tummy rubs and I chased him round the bed so he'd run around (he wasn't impressed). He then went and had a thorough wash to get rid of all the Science Recovery that was on him.

I put him back in his cage expecting to be getting up every couple of hours to feed him. I let Bella out for a run around because she'd missed out a bit as I'd kept T out as long as possible to try and get things moving. When I went back in about 12.30 he was rearranging his cage, which he likes to do last thing at night and in the morning :roll:, and when I offered some dandelion and plaintain he had a nibble - not a lot, but it was the first thing he'd eaten. He'd also stopped lying down - he was sitting up - so I left him to it.

I was fully expecting to be rushing him down to the vet this morning but when I went in he was busily rearranging his bed and there was a little mountain of nethie poos. I've never been so glad to see poos!!! He'd eaten his bedtime pellets - I gave him a few more than usual to try and tempt him. He ate a few of his breakfast pellets - he always takes his time in the morning - and when I gave him some dried grass he thought that was good so I'm hoping he'll be OK. I'm now at work and just hoping that I've done the right thing leaving him. If he needs to go to the vet this evening then I'll go but I'm hoping that as he's eaten and pood and has stopped the lying down and closing his eyes that whatever it was that was wrong I managed to get him through with all the tummy rubs and Infacol.

Phew – aren’t they a worry!! I was just thinking yesterday how settled things were. I just wish I knew what caused it so I could try and prevent it happening again but don’t think I’ll find out.

:p yaaay! the little man pulled through - well done for such expert nursing! Zinniea was the same at Christmas and once she'd had about 20ml of water syringing into her (over a few hours) she perked up - been fine since so hopefully little Tarquin will be all better now :D

They give you a fright don't they, I've had to do it with Charlie a few times and I'm so grateful to this site for knowing how to handle the situation. Really pleased that he's much better :D.

I really do honestly believe that if I hadn't learnt what I've learnt on here that he wouldn't be here this morning. He does seem to have gut problems now and then but this seemed more than that - when his guts have slowed down and he's needed meds it's been a gradual thing and then he's picked up. It's the first time I've had to syringe feed him and it seemed obvious that if I didn't get something in him and fast he was going to get worse. Even when his guts have slowed he's remained bright and perky - seeing him sink down as he was so low on energy was awful, and happened so fast. Finding him half lying in his water bowl was just horrible.

Thank you to everyone on this site - it's a wonderful place. :D

Back