• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

MORE abscess worries :( U/D 28th

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I need more help with Sorrel's abscess :(

It seemed to be getting more painful and has a bit more pus coming out than usual when i cleaned it so i went to the vet and got some metacam. (0.15ml daily)

she has been on metacam for a week and I STILL can't clean it because it's obviously so painful she won't have me go near it - this is a recent development as Ive been cleaning it since october with no struggling on her part at all.

I dont understand why its suddenly got worse when previously the vet said it was doing really well, and what the best course of action would be.

she doesnt seem ill at all and is her usual lively self but ive booked her an appointment at the vet on monday morning. they seem intent on putting her under GA and cleaning it out. :? im not sure about this as it seems drastic and i'm terrified of losing her under the GA. is it really necessary and what alternative course could we take?

thanks :( i would promise to stop harrassing you all for abscess info but I kind of don't have a choice :(

Last edited:
Where abouts is the abscess?
If the entire capsule can be removed, with a good margin of healthy tissue, that would give a much better prognosis.

If the abscess is on the jaw then I think a skull xray needs to be taken to see if the infection has got into the bone (osteomyelitis) If that has happened it would account for the increased pain.

Janex

it was surgically removed in september 06, before I got her. When i took her on she wasnt on any treatment but it recurred october 4th which i noticed as a bit of pus leaking out, so she was put on baytril and flushing it out with hibiscrub (no culture of the abscess wall to see what bacteria are in it...:?:?)

it is on the jaw and she has very few teeth left there apparently. till recently it was also draining into her mouth but that hole has closed now and I'm cleaning it through the hole left under her jaw.

shall i ask them for an x ray then? and is it wise to let them put her under a GA for cleaning? i am terrified of losing my girl to GA but also terrified of losing her to the abscess :(

thankyou jane :(

has someone already mentioned manuka honey f or its antibacterial properties?

Also *deep breath* sorry for repeating myself :oops: but Wheatgrass powder to boost her immune system and try to curb it? It really helped my bun.

*sending lots of positive vibes*

I really hope she/ he gets better

x

EDIT: Is it a mandibular abscess? That's what my bun had...it's really important that you try to flush the abscess as often as poss. Sheba hated it too but it had to be done because it the infection was so virilous

Last edited:
has someone already mentioned manuka honey f or its antibacterial properties?

Also *deep breath* sorry for repeating myself :oops: but Wheatgrass powder to boost her immune system and try to curb it? It really helped my bun.

*sending lots of positive vibes*

I really hope she/ he gets better

x

EDIT: Is it a mandibular abscess? That's what my bun had...it's really important that you try to flush the abscess as often as poss. Sheba hated it too but it had to be done because it the infection was so virilous

I hadn't heard of either of those, will look into them, thankyou :)

I'm not sure what mandibular means :oops: its on her lower jawbone. Ive been doing my level best to flush it daily and have had no problem for the last three months but now, i wrap her up tight in a towel and grip her between my knees, but the moment i touch under her chin she's off like she's possessed and I can't keep her down, she's too strong and i don't want her to thrash and end up breaking her spine or something. will try again in twenty mins when the metacam kicks in but im not hopeful :(

that sounds like a mandibular abscess... Sheba had that as well and I can completely relate with you when you talk about towels and knee grabs :roll:

She HATED being picked up anyway but having to flush? NO WAY JOSE! I found having two people there stopped her from trying to lunge out of my reach. Having said that it's a fine line between trying to flush it and knowing that you're distressing them :?

Sheba had to go under GA many times with her abscess... I was worried too. I don't want to say anything absolute but I found having her abscess cleaned by the vet under GA kept it open and made it easier to clean at home.

With rabbits there's always the risk under GA but so long as she is lively and still eating this is kept at a minimum risk?

Again, best wishes for Sorrel *hug*

Well they put her under GA this morning and cleaned it out and did x rays

I just picked her up and had a chat with my lovely vet. There's no osteomyelitis present but the x rays did show up the horrific state of her molar roots - they have overgrown up the her eye, and right down to the bottom of her jaw. :shock: also she had spurs on all her molars - I had no idea, she was eating fine. :cry:

She's had a dental and is staying on the pain relief for a bit then I'm to phone my vet to discuss stuff. She's prefectly happy to culture a sample of the abscess wall but warns that it might come back sterile because there isnt really much abscess as such left - we think the pain has been from the spurs and teeth.

Anyway we had a really long chat and she was incredibly helpful and brought out lots of books to show me and theres probably more that I've forgotten but I jsut thought I'd give you an update since you've all been so helpful. i only wish I'd had her from when she was born so she'd have had less chance of developing such problems :(

Well they put her under GA this morning and cleaned it out and did x rays

I just picked her up and had a chat with my lovely vet. There's no osteomyelitis present but the x rays did show up the horrific state of her molar roots - they have overgrown up the her eye, and right down to the bottom of her jaw. :shock: also she had spurs on all her molars - I had no idea, she was eating fine. :cry:
:(

This is similar to one of my rabbits, we found out that his roots had grown through his jaw and were at a loss as to why this had not been spotted by the vet sooner as she knew he was not a hay eater (he had never been away for3-4 months prior to this!). He now has to have regular dentals but is very happy in himself.

It is quite frightening and worrying to take everything in, like you we had no signs that our buns teeth were so bad as he was eating and running around like normal.

i can sympathise with you as i have a bunny with an abscess and have been flushing it for 2 months now. Luckily she lets me do it without problems.

Does sound like her teeth must have been really hurting her, bunnies hide pain so well. At least now they are sorted she should be alot better. My bun has had her abscess cleaned twice now under GA and it's always worrying. I hope she's feeling better soon. A culture would be a very good idea. I had one done that was sterile but the next one came back with results and gave us more options for antibiotics.

They probably administered the GA via an ear vein

I hope she recovers well from her op' and will now be more comfortable

Janex

Ah, thankyou

The vet said sorrel was a star and recovered really well and was feasting away like normal very soon after she came round - that's my greedy girl :lol:

thanks everyone for your help with this

Back