• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy gunky eyes - help please!

racheld69

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:

My friend has a bunny with runny eyes. She is checked every 6 months at the vets who say that her teeth aren't great but they haven't needed to file them down. She has had her tear ducts flushed once but within a week they were back to being gunky. They have even had to have the hair shaved round the eyes to get rid of the gunk. The vets just seem to think oh well its just one of those things but I said I would ask on here coz I am sure there must be something you can do? I don't suppose it can be caused by the roots of the teeth? Or what else?

Last edited:
One of mine had gunky/watery eyes a couple of years ago and had them flushed a couple of times and it cleared up with the use of Tiacil as well. He now has serious teeth problems but my vet did not/still does not think this was the cause of the eye problem (it has not recurred).

However, you really do need to see a good rabbit vet who can check the teeth thoroughly. If they do need some dentistry then ask the vet to do an X-ray of the skull.

I hope your bunnies are OK.

It could also be an eye infection, was she given Baytril? Speedy had an eye infection that cleared up with Baytril.

Hi, my girl has the same problem. At first the vets just gave her eye drops etc for weeks and we had her tear ducts flushed but it didnt improve. We then took her to another vet and had her scull xrayed and it showed that the weepy eyes are because of problems with the roots... I would definately recommend that your friend gets and xray of her bun.

Back