• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dirty feet...

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper keeps getting his feet caked in poo .

he has trouble moving around a bit and tummy trouble due to not eating enough fibre . he is 9.5 yrs old.

every morning i have to clean his bottom and that is fine but i cant get the poo off his feet . the fur is coming off with it and its leaving him with sore patches on his feetwhere he doesnt have padding .

ive tried bathing it off but its difficult this weather as he is outside and ive tried cornflour ..but im getting no where . :(:(
As quick as im cleaning ..its stuck back up again ...

any tips :?:?

I had a bunny with tummy problems early last year for 3-4 months where I had to clean him twice a day. I moved him over to Oxbow Bunny Basics and his poops have been perfect ever since. Might be worth a try.

Have you tried baby wipes for his feet? What about a dash of Johnsons small animal shampoo in warm water, cotton wool pads which are tightly squeezed so they are just damp.

Don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.

Baby socks is an option. We have an old lady bun who boards with us who has this problem and the owner brings a supply of baby socks with her, Secured with some surgical tape, we just change them every day and wash them:)

Baby socks is an option. We have an old lady bun who boards with us who has this problem and the owner brings a supply of baby socks with her, Secured with some surgical tape, we just change them every day and wash them:)

what an unusual but good idea!!! :)

might be an idea .

still have to get them properly clean first though :? and not sure if they would make moving around harder for him as hes a bit unsteady to start with .:?

Back