• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tummy probs and X-rays. u/d sat pm

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've not been on here for a while, but after having a quick scan of some threads it looks as though my problem is quite common of late.

Travis went off his food Wednesday night, Thurs morning, still not interested, so fed critical care and made vets app. He had metacam and metoclopramide, and my vet said his tummy felt gassy, and she would see him again Friday for a check up. Previously he has perked up and eaten some veg in the night, but nothing.

Thurs night and Fri morning, more critical care, and back to the vets. She was also surprised that he still wasn't eating. Felt his tummy, said it felt empty, but that the top of his ceacum (sp!?) felt a little doughy, as though there was some kind of hair build up or something. So, more gut stimulant, and I syringe fed him some pineapple last night, and this morning, along with more CC. I could hear his tummy gurgling as he was eating the pineapple. He also drank quite a bit of water last night.

Back at the vets this morning, as still not interested in any food. She's felt his tummy, which now feels gassy, but still no sign of anything coming through. She's kept him in to X-ray him this afternoon once they're closed as she is concerned that there may be an obstruction.

My main pondering is, if they do find an obstruction on the X-ray, is there any thing that they can actually do about it? :?

Any advice, or knowledge of this would be helpful. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Squidgy had an obstruction about 5 years ago, and he was operated on (I think, it's a long time ago) - he definitely stayed in hospital for a week whilst they sorted him out.
I'm sure there are many things they can do nowadays.
Good luck to him.

If an obstruction is visible on the xrays you want to do everything possible to avoid having GI surgery, its a dangerous procedure with a poor prognosis as simply touching the GI tract can stop it working.

If your vet suspects an obstruction she should also not be giving gut stimulants at this stage.

I would also stop syringe feeding anything (including pineapple juice) but warm water, and lots of it, to try and rehydrate the 'mass' making it more maleable.

My rabbit Caspian had a GI obstriction and his tummy also made very audible noises. We suspect his was pyloric stenosis or a tumour with a secondary build up of food and hair.

Do not attempt to use oil based laxatives as these cover the mass with an oily coat making it impossible to rehydrate.

Once the xrays have established wether a blockage is actually the problem your vet can disscuss a suitable treatment plan with you.

Thanks guys, I guess I just wanted an idea of what to expect that's all. Fingers crossed for the results of the x rays then....:?

Poor Travis, this seems to be a very common problem at the moment with a lot of our bunnies.

You may have read my Katy's thread on here over Xmas/New Year. She had X-rays and her tum was full but was not moving through her pyloric thingbob. She was kept in as a day patient and given meds and I had to take her in the following day for more Xrays to see if anything was moving. When I left her the second day I had to be prepared for her to have surgery to try and save her but luckily things had started moving. It took time but she is now recovered.

I would reiterate what Sooz22 has said, surgery is a last resort. Try to feed lots of tepid water - put it in a bowl so Travis can help himself. I noticed when Katy started to drink the water her tum started to make lots of gurgly noises.

I hope Travis is OK. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Thanks for all your replies, all the finger crossing appears to have done some good. The X-rays (fascinating aren't they!) showed no blockage, but some gassiness, and from the x-rays my vet was worried that care needed to be taken to ensure no blockage does now occur.

So, no more motability drugs, but he's had some more pain relief, although this time of a morphine derivative - not sure what it was called. I also have some liquid paraffin for him - which I've read about before, some Fibreplex, and some Bio Lapis. I'm to keep giving him critical care, and plenty of water. She also said to carry on with the pineapple as he's happy to eat it, and cereal based baby food is also a possibility. Vitamin C was also recommended.

She will see him again in the morning in case he needs more pain relief. Hopefully, he'll be feeling better by then.

Thank you again for all your replies, I'll keep you posted with any progress. :)

The painkiller may have been vetergesic, its opiate based.

In hope he continues to improve and and that his gut motility can be increased before a blockage starts to accumulate.

I may be very wrong on this count but I would have thought at this stage, with no blockage, metaclopromide should be given?

The painkiller may have been vetergesic, its opiate based.

In hope he continues to improve and and that his gut motility can be increased before a blockage starts to accumulate.

I may be very wrong on this count but I would have thought at this stage, with no blockage, metaclopromide should be given?

My vet's theory was that she didn't want to use metaclop. in case it pushed everything along too quickly, and then cause a blockage. She is still concerned from the x-rays that although there isn't a blockage at present, there's a chance with what she can see that one could form. Therefore, whilst we want his gut moving, and moving well, she's concerned that metaclop. may cause it to move too quickly and form a blockage? if this makes sense?

I know she referred to the lady in Harrogate (Frances Harcourt Brown) to explore every possible option that could be used, so I trust the advice she's giving. :)

My vet's theory was that she didn't want to use metaclop. in case it pushed everything along too quickly, and then cause a blockage. She is still concerned from the x-rays that although there isn't a blockage at present, there's a chance with what she can see that one could form. Therefore, whilst we want his gut moving, and moving well, she's concerned that metaclop. may cause it to move too quickly and form a blockage? if this makes sense?

I know she referred to the lady in Harrogate (Frances Harcourt Brown) to explore every possible option that could be used, so I trust the advice she's giving. :)

I assume then she was refering to problems with the pylorus, which would make sense as if it was inflammed and closed, the food could 'back up' in the tummy, if it was unable to get through under pressure from the metaclopromide.

Fair play :D

Back