• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

force feeding a rabbit

touie

Wise Old Thumper
what do you do with a rabbit that won't swallow?

Fudge is so stubborn, he's not eating pellets, hay or veg after his dental so I'm trying to give him Critical Care only he holds it in his mouth and lets it all dribble out, he won't swallow it :( He did eat a raisin though so he can't be feeling that poorly just being stubborn again!!!

edit: to say he's eaten some mint and a bit of broccolli but only if hand fed!!!

Last edited:
what do you do with a rabbit that won't swallow?

Fudge is so stubborn, he's not eating pellets, hay or veg after his dental so I'm trying to give him Critical Care only he holds it in his mouth and lets it all dribble out, he won't swallow it :( He did eat a raisin though so he can't be feeling that poorly just being stubborn again!!!

Has he had adequate pain relief ?

Janex

he hasn't had any today, I can't see any metacam on the receipt yesterday, I'm not sure if there is another type on there.

I don't know what rimadyl, torbugesic or narketan are? :?

he hasn't had any today, I can't see any metacam on the receipt yesterday, I'm not sure if there is another type on there.

I don't know what rimadyl, torbugesic or narketan are? :?

Rimadyl is a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory ( not advisable to give every day, Metacam is better )
Torbugesic is and opiate pain killer (only lasts about 4-6 hours)
Narketan is the GA drug (Ketamine)

Has he poo'd since being home?

Janex

yes he's been pooing ok although they're obviously starting to geet smaller now

I've never got very far with getting Critical Care down a bunny or pig yet - always seems to end up down their fronts. If you can get Fudge to eat something and he's pooing, I'd leave him be personally.

When Charlie had his dental he was very fussy and quiet (and I think making the most of the attention! :roll:)
I had to cut up his hay and get some dried herby mix (naturals collection at P@H) btu he only had pain relief the day of the op. It took him several days to get back to his normal self.. he ate and pooed but in moderation. He did have fibreplex to help his tummy after the GA and whilst getting back to eat normally. He didnt have any critical care.. think diff vets do diff things. As long as he is eating - albeit slowly - and pooing and not in pain then i'd just perservere and let him do it in his own time. But if he does seem in pain then get back to the vets for some pain relief....

Hope fudge feels better soon :D

Back