• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for a dental bun

Sarah86

Mama Doe
I've just been home for the weekend, my auntie has two gorgeous white lops and both have really bad teeth. One of them had to be brought into the house and cleaned up because his front teeth have grown back really quickly which caused him to drool.

His mouth has been checked and he doesn't have spurs and his teeth have been clipped now but she said they are needing doing every 2-3 weeks. His eyes are fine. Would she be better off having their teeth removed?

They both have plenty of hay but eat that awful muesli mix and I'm not sure if they have willow balls or anything to chew on. I went over to see him on saturday and he looked fine, happily munching away.

I don't know a great deal about dental buns but I'd like to pass on some good information to my Auntie from people on the forum, both general care info and info specific to dental buns. Both buns are boys and live in separate hutches close to each other although they did live together when they were younger- do you think they could be re-bonded if they were neutered? Also if anyone know of anywhere that will neuter buns more cheaply for people who don't have much money/ are on benefits that would be great, she has a young daughter with learning difficulties and her o/h is terminally ill.

I'd like to collate all of the information and put it together as a kind of care leaflet for her that won't cause offence.

Hi, I don't see why they couldn't be bonded after neautering :? has your auntie tried the PDSA? Otherwise just shop around, vets prices seem to vary wildly, you could try a vets4pets. They seem to be fairly cheap and I think they are fairly well dispearsed.

Hay is a great start but it would be great if you could persuade your auntie to slowly swap to pellets. Apparently becasue of the shape and hardness these also help. It could also be possible that they are eating too much mix wich is killing their appetite for hay. Mine only get a very small handful between them morning and night...about two tablespoons. Willow balls are very useful but also if she can get hold of apple tree branches. 2-3 weeks does seem very excessive. Has the vet not advised anything?

Thank you both for the info.

I'm not sure where the nearest PDSA is to her but will have a look, I know there is one in Leeds so I could take them there for her if they'd allow it.

I was going to try and persuade her to swap the food as well and suspect they get a bowl full which stops them eating much hay but rather than just tell her I thought some printed info on teeth would be best with the food part incorporated. She had an apple tree in her garden but I'm not sure if she still does.

I hope my advice isn't badly received or ignored- I am quite close to her but a bit worried that she'll take offence.

Back