• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nia latest update

capel

Warren Veteran
I've just had a call from the vet to let me know that Nia has tested positive "very strongly" for EC. She is on a 30 day course of Panacur at the moment. Is there anything else I should be doing apart from maintaining very strict controls to prevent cross-contamination with Floss and Bournville? Does this also mean that she will have to remain a solo bunster?

I've just had a call from the vet to let me know that Nia has tested positive "very strongly" for EC. She is on a 30 day course of Panacur at the moment. Is there anything else I should be doing apart from maintaining very strict controls to prevent cross-contamination with Floss and Bournville? Does this also mean that she will have to remain a solo bunster?

She will need to remain single whilst on treatment. Personally I would want to treat her for at least 6 weeks, possibly longer :?

The EC spores are excreted in the wee. So its important that no other Bun has access to the same territory, especially grass based runs that she may have used.
If other Buns have been in the same run that Nia has had access to I would also treat those Buns with Fenbendazole too. My personal *unqualified* opinion is that a 9 day course (as is advised as a preventative treatment) is a waste of time. I treat for 28 days using Panacut 10% liquid and a dose of 20mg/kg or 0.2ml/kg

I hope Nia continues to recover well

Janex :)

I'm sorry your bunny is sick. But as I've learned you can still have a happy rabbit for years to come thats got EC :)

She will need to stay alone though, at least for the time being. EC spores can stay alive for about a month so you might want to disinfect anything she's had access to that the other rabbits come incontact with.

Hi Jane:) and Tempest . Thanks for your replies. She is on a 30 day course and is due back at the vet next Wednesday and Suzzetta (who rang me) said she'll give me more info then as well. She was only ever in on of my spare runs and I've marked that now to make sure no other bun uses it. She was also restricted to only one part of the garden at the front of the house and F&B were always at the back. Will she still be able to be spayed, as I'm hoping that will help with the litter training, or will excess urination always be a problem? So many questions..

Last edited:
Hi Jane:) or will excess urination always be a problem?

Is she actually weeing a lot ( indicating *possible* renal damage from the EC) or is she leaking wee (indicating neurological damage from the EC)

It is possible that her symptoms will improve, it just depends on the degree of damage and where that damage has occured. Did Suzetta mention if Nia's Renal Function was checked when the EC test was done?

Janex

Edited to add another *unqualified* opinion :oops:
I would not even think of spaying Nia for at least 6 months. But you have a Vet far better qualified to advise you !!

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't keep her single in the long term, if you're really concerned about EC you could always have any potential new partners tested for it (apparently around 50% of rabbits will test postive...so a partner shouldn't be too hard to find).

I have a couple of rabbits who used to live with an EC positive rabbit. The EC positive rabbit died about 4 years ago (of an unrelated cause), but neither of the other rabbits has ever shown any symptoms yet.

Amy

I would second using a 6 week course minimum of Panacur and having your ther rabbits on a 28 day course too.

Bleach will kill EC spores and I would also recommend keeping her food, including hay raised off the floor to minimise feacal to oral transmissions.

EC spores are able to remain inactive for some time and then 'reawaken' weeks later, outside of the body....it was all very confusing but Anita did explain it to me and it made sense.....which is why she now only recommends 6 week Panacur courses in conjunction with good hygiene.

Thanks so much for all your replies. I know she had two blood tests done, one of which was for EC, but by that time after having looked at the spinal Xrays I'd lapsed into "just nod wisely Hilda" phase. I'll ask all the relevant questions on Wednesday..I just want to be slightly aware before then so that I don't glaze over when the time comes:lol: Floss is at the vet tomorrow for her eye check so I'll pick up two more tubes of Panacur for F&B and get them started. I've a feeling Kevin will advise that anyway. I don't think Nia's actually incontinent as she never wet the newspaper when we covered the carpet with it, so I'm really hoping it's just excess urination. As for bonding I'll play it by ear as she'll have to be spayed first and I wouldn't think of doing it for several months when I can be sure that she's as healthy and as fit as possible. My only concern is that she'd need a very placid male bunny as she is a very gentle(though not really timid) girlie. I get the impression that If she was human she'd wear pink cashmere and pearls!!!:lol:

I get the impression that If she was human she'd wear pink cashmere and pearls!!!:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I had a rabbit that looks like Nia and she was just the same, a real girlie. Out new female is more like a tom boy!

I am so sorry to hear that she is not too good. Hope she keeps recovering well. Are you keeping her? She is a beauty.

I don't know much about EC, what are the symptoms and what should I be doing to prevent it.

She is moving so easily now that I plucked up the courage to lift her out and check her over properly. Her little wound from the endoscopy is healing beautifully..no redness, swelling or anything untoward and I must say that the blue bare belly looks rather natty against the white of her fur:lol: :lol: But best of all is how clean her tail end is...she's obviously doing a really efficient job in the grooming department which would back up my feeling that her spine is not too bad at all apart from the dog-leg kink in it:roll: . I had a chat this morning with Kevin and he agrees that the injury was most probably pre-existing, or it may even have been congenital, but that for the next 14 days or so we've to assume that the disc compression at the top mayhave been the result of the fall and continue her in cage rest etc.

he agrees that the injury was most probably pre-existing, or it may even have been congenital,

We said that all along didn't we? Makes a lot of sence :D

Glad shes doing well ;)

Have you seen any weight gain Hilda? :shock:

I've held back from weighing her since the accident, but now that she's fine for handling I just might go now and pop her on the scales. brb. I've a new pic of her on the thread in photos Leanne.:)

Back