• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbits

stewyprinceandluna

Warren Scout
Hi All

This is my first post on the forum! I am looking for some advice from those of you with house rabbits!!

I adopted Stewy (pictured in avator) 6 weeks ago from a lady who had him as a house rabbit and then he went to live out in a hutch and I took him off her hands! Only on Monday, I bought him inside as there was fireworks and he loved it! He totally changed from the quiet lonely bunny I have known him as ! He was back in his element! We decided to keep him indoors as a house bunny now! He is "potty trained" however, since we have bought him indoors he has had accidents! He is living (whilst we're not at home) in a dog crate with old duvet covers in and his potty in one corner. When we are home we open the door so he can roam as he pleases! However, he is pooing on the blankets in his crate and also having accidents indoors which is unusual!

I wanted some advice on what i could be doing wrong and also what people use as litter in their trays.

Also, what kind of set ups you have (I cant leave him to roam whilst I am not in as I have a dog).

Thanks

Lauren x

(p.s. Hi to everyone, I am new!)

Hi there :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

There are lots of great threads on here with indoor set ups I will dig some out for you. I have a house bun as well as 2 outdoor buns and 2 outdoor foster buns. My housebun has an indoor cage and is free range (she never ranges far, too lazy). However lots of people have puppy pens attached to theirs. As for litter there are lots of sorts... I have just hay in my litter trays as they like to munch and wee at same time. But you could use megazorb, or sawdust (depending on dust allergies). As for doing things wrong... you sound to me as though you are doing fine... your bun will probably be scent marking a bit as the surroundings are all new. If you keep putting soiled litter in his tray when you clean it, he should get the idea and use it once he has settled. There are alwasy gonna be accidents I guess.... will go find those threads for you... welcome to RU and good luck!!!! xxxxx

:wave: hi and welcome to the forum :D

my buns when they were in my room had a dog crate with an attched pen and i built a shelf into the crate to give them a bit more space, they have got their own bedroom now :oops:

in their litter tray i use a thick layer of newspaper at the moment i am using chopped straw on top of that but i prefer a product like megazorb as it is really absorbant and then a reallyt thick layer of fresh hay on top as bunnies like to eat whilst they 'go' :D :lol: my two are now pretty good at going in their tray but if they do have the odd accidnt i always have some white vinegar in a spray bottle at the ready as it cleans it up really well :D

Hey!

Here are some pictures for you to check out, see what you think I am doing!

Photo-0136.jpg

Photo-0134.jpg

He is a very quiet bunny. I have been using woodshavings in his litter tray, but its very messy and gets stuck to his fur and it gets trailed around my front room! I bought wood pellet litter from PAH this afternoon to try, its heavier and shouldnt stick to his fur!!!!

My Jack Russell is very good with him, she loves all our animals (stewy the house bun, prince & luna outdoor buns and peanut and spud the g.pigs!)

L x

awww he is cute :D the only thing i will say (and please dont think i am being mean as im not) is the size of his crate, would you be able to get hi s bigger one if he is being shut in? when i had a single indoor bun he he had free roam of my rooom and was shut in a 48" crate at night. it might be worth trying hay in the tray as it might encourage him to go to the toilet more in there :D

and sorry just noticed :oops: i assume he gets 24 hour access to hay? just i cant see any in those pics :oops: :oops: sorry other than that he looks like a very happy well loved bunny :D

Yeah he has hay in there!! He's not a very active rabbit, hes very quiet. In my opinion he doesnt need a bigger crate for 4 hours during the day and 8 at night that he cant come out!

L x

Yeah he has hay in there!! He's not a very active rabbit, hes very quiet. In my opinion he doesnt need a bigger crate for 4 hours during the day and 8 at night that he cant come out!

L x

thats fair enough i didnt know how long he was shut in :) you know your bunny best too :)

is he a lionhead? he is gorgeous what colour is he? :D

L x
HI Lauren. Welcome to the forum.LOvely bunny, but I do think the crate looks a bit small if he's locked up there for 8 hours at a time. There can't be much room in there for a box or tunnel for him to hide in. .A 4' one would be better, or you could try putting in another level in at one end to increase the floor space. Of course, perhaps the camera angle has made the crate look smaller than it actually is:) In which case just ignore what I've written:lol: Looking forward to more pics of him and your outdoor ones as well. Do you think you might eventually bond them into a trio?

Last edited:
Here are some more piccies for u

Stewy (we think he is a lionhead x nethie dwarf, but some say because of his flat face hes got lop in him somewhere!)
14102007010.jpg

Luna on the left and Prince on the right
14102007006.jpg

Dont think we will be bonding them as Stewy isnt neutered. Luna and Prince are brother and sister, prince is neutered, but he has been a bit naughty (we have only had him almost 2 weeks), he keeps biting me, really hard. Still trying to bond with them, they are very hardy outdoor buns.

Here are peanut (on the left) and spud my guinea pigs (from Alice and Janes rabbit rescue in gloucestershire).
Photo-0129.jpg

This morning Stewy has been out of his crate once so far (only been up 15 mins) and been in his new fluffy bed that came yesterday, and now hes in his potty YAY! Hes still doing nuggets on the blankets. Going to change is litter type today to prevent trail which will hopefully stop the scent going around his bed!

L x

Megazorb MEGAZORB!!

Can't sing it's praises highly enough! Everyone said to use it, but I was finding it tricky to find a supplier, so I tried wood pellets, then non-clumping cat litter, and everything stayed wet and was prickly on their feet, so a) the buns didn't like it and went everywhere, and b) it was stinky!! Then I switched to megazorb, and the smell is much reduced, it's soooo absorbant, and their trays only need emptying every couple of days. Also, it comes in huge bags and is great value! :) Only downside - it's very light, so sticks to bunnies and ends up everywhere!!

p.s. I thought flat face was a nethie thing? cos my lionhead lop hasn't got a flat face and my nethie lop has

What a cutie!

I think litter training gets better as time goes on. I use sawdust covered by hay. The hay stops the sawdust spreading everywhere and they like to sit on it and munch and poo simulataneously.

Hi!:wave: This is my 1st time on the forum, been reading your threads the last few days and thought I'd join in!!! I'm getting 3 bunnies from a rescue centre next Tuesday, they are going to be indoor ones so I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to get a dog crate or indoor cage. I'm finding that the bases on the indoor cages are too high so I think I am gonna go for a crate. I notice in one of the links with the photos of indoor crates Steph has like a cream cushy flooring down just wondering where I could get that from??? Also as I haven't had rabbits since a child I am a bit dubious of bying the material seats/beds/blackets as I'm worried it would be harmful if swallowed, can you just put my mind at ease please!!!:)

:wave: Hi I have got 2 house buns who roam free while i am out. There is a baby gate stopping them going upstairs but they can go anywhere downstairs and are fine - just have to watch wires with rabbits though. I use wood based cat litter for my cat litter tray.

Hey and welcome to the forum! :D

Very sweet bunnies! :love:

Forgive me if someone has already said what I'm about to say, I only had a quick scan of the other replies.

I find that using a larger litter tray makes them what to be in it more and thus poo in it more.

I use Megazorb in mine, but Carefress would work just as well and is available at all good petshops and online but Megazorb is much more economical as it comes in a huge sack. Try putting some lovely hay in at one end, they like to eat and poop at the same time :roll: :lol:

To make his area bigger while your out could you try attaching a pen to the cage, it might just give him that bit extra room without you having to spend lots on a larger crate.

Good Luck! :wave:

Hi there :wave:

We have three indoor buns at the moment. They are living (or rather pooing cos they treat it as a huge litter tray!!!!) in a 1.4m indoor cage I got at a good price from zooplus.

The height of the base is not a problem, the buns are more than happy to jump in and out, tho they do have one of those bendy stick things to use as a ramp. I am happy with the cage as it does contain some of the hay mess ( .

I am developing housemaids' knees on my constant quest to contain the hay. A lost cause really :lol: :lol: Word of warning - three indoor buns produce mounds of poo. Emptying litter trays is a full time job - but we wouldn't have it any different. ;)

As far as cushions and soft bedding goes - they couldn't give a stuff!:) As they have free run of the conservatory they much prefer laying on the carpet. At night they prefer to sleep in the cardboard house we bought from www.cardboardguy.co.uk.

Mmmmm - wonder why I bothered with such a big cage after all!:roll:

Last edited:
Thats great then you've changed my mind I will go for the indoor cage. What size do you think I should get because I will have a playpen attached to the cage for them to use whilst I'm in work when they don't have the run of the house (once I've had them a little longer and trained them I am hoping for them to have the run of downstairs totally). I was going to get the 100cm or 120cm because once I am home they will be out anyway and in the playpen the rest of the time, what do you think? :)

Back