• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny randomly got sick =/

Tekee

New Kit
I woke up today with my sister telling me that our rabbit was sick. Sure enough I went downstairs and saw that he didn't look too well.

We offered him a treat (which he usually devours without holding back) and he didn't budge for it. He's also lying down a lot and not eating much food. I gave him a little bit of water which he drank awkwardly, just sipping it and then proceeded to go sleep under his food area - his cage has two levels and he only goes underneath if he's not feeling well.

He's been shedding recently...donno if that is reason for why he's acting weird. Nothing else too important, not really sure what's going on!

Is he eating at all? Today would be better because if a rabbit stops eating their guts slow down and this can be quite serious, I don't mean to scare you.

Yes, it would be preferable to take him today, but both the parents are at work and there's no car for me to take the bunny down to the vet :(

By the time they get back, I'm pretty sure the vet's office will be closed.

Yes, it would be preferable to take him today, but both the parents are at work and there's no car for me to take the bunny down to the vet :(

By the time they get back, I'm pretty sure the vet's office will be closed.

Is your bunny eating at all?

I haven't really watched him eat anything...let me go check it out now.

EDIT: Nope, not really. He's just lying down in his cage. I offered him some hay but he wouldn't budge.

Last edited:
Is his tummy swollen or hard to the touch?
Can you hear liquid gurgling or sloshing inside?
Is he pooing at all?
Is he grinding his teeth or sitting in a hunched posture/ repetedly lying down then getting up again or shifting position?

Is his tummy swollen or hard to the touch?
Can you hear liquid gurgling or sloshing inside?
Is he pooing at all?
Is he grinding his teeth or sitting in a hunched posture/ repetedly lying down then getting up again or shifting position?

No sounds from his tummy.
Minimal, if no pooing.
No teeth grinding, but his posture is kind of weird. I picked him up to see if any part of his body was hurting, and set him back down and he just sat there in an awkward position, not moving.

I also gave him water again and a bit after he started sipping, he sneezed twice (or it seemed like a sneeze), but they sounded very weird, almost a high pitched squeal.

Also, his stomach does seem a little swollen.

I haven't really watched him eat anything...let me go check it out now.

EDIT: Nope, not really. He's just lying down in his cage. I offered him some hay but he wouldn't budge.

He really needs to go to the vet today. Is there no way you can get a taxi or anything? Bunnies rapidly go downhill if they are not eating and it can get very serious :( Vets sometimes have someone on duty for out-of-hours emergencies which is another option.

He really needs to go to the vet today. Is there no way you can get a taxi or anything? Bunnies rapidly go downhill if they are not eating and it can get very serious :( Vets sometimes have someone on duty for out-of-hours emergencies which is another option.

I was just about to say the same thing.

I know you said your parents were at work. Could you get a bus or taxi?
There should be out-of-hours coverage for your vets.

Are you in the uk?

Checked up on him again...you know how you asked me if he's shifting positions a lot?

Yeah, I noticed he's doing that quite frequently now.

It sounds to me like he has bloat, and that his stomach is causing him pain.

Try to tempt him to eat with his favourite foods, give him a gentle tummy rub....small circular motions on his belly, only a little pressure......do your parents keep any Infacol (simethicone) in the house? I dont know what its called in the US but here we use it for babies with colic.

Nope, got none of the stuff you suggested. I called my dad again and he'll be here at around 4 (4 hours) to take the rabbit to the vet.

Ok.....you need to do the tummy rub thing and get him to run about a bit, this may help to get his guts moving.

Is there anything he particularly likes to eat?

Try offering him water in a bowl as he may find it easier to drink, do you have a near by shop you could walk to?

Ok.....you need to do the tummy rub thing and get him to run about a bit, this may help to get his guts moving.

Is there anything he particularly likes to eat?

Try offering him water in a bowl as he may find it easier to drink, do you have a near by shop you could walk to?

He likes small fruits like grapes. I'll do the tummy rubbing right now.

Do you have any at home? or even raisins?

Offer him some to eat, try wetting his lips with the juice to encourage him. I had to chase my rabbit round the bedroom the other day to get him to move about but it did help to get his bowels moving again.

Awww sorry to hear your bunny is poorly. try to get him to run around. I know it sounds mean with him being poorly but it does help his tummy to move. Give him a nice bunny tummy rub.

Lots of get well >>>>>>>>>>vibes<<<<<<<<<<<<

(=^w^=)

Back