• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please offer me some advice on my bad tempered bunny!

Nixz

Young Bun
Hello - im new and would appreciate some advice.
I have a house rabbit, she is approx 6 months old.
She has chewed all the wallpaper off our walls! I have repainted them about 5 times but she wont stop. Daisy is aware that this isnt allowed because as soon as you stand up she scarpers!
Infact - she chews EVERYTHING to bits - we have the wire protectors, yellow pages, newspapers, wood, chew toys, boxes tunnels but this isnt stopping her. On Friday whilst we were at a friends wedding, we come home and Daisy had gone upstairs, dug and dug at the skirting board in the bathroom and once this started to come off, she chewed a massive hole in it, pulled our tiles off and made a bed behind our toilet!!!! Complete devastaion!
Daisy is a very very clever little bunny, she loves attention and i think half the problem is that she wants it all the time or else she gets very annoyed. She always gets cuddles and we play with her and we sit in the garden with her so she can run freely in the garden but as soon as its time to come in/stop cuddling/stop playing/not allowed to chew the house she gets very grumpy. She makes very loud grumting sounds and boxes at you and tries to bite! Daisy used to jump around the house all day very happily, but now she seems very angry if she cant have cuddles or chew.
She is destroying our house and has become very demanding!! Is this normal? Can anyone offer advice? We love daisy but she doesnt seem to be very pleasant at the moment!!!!

My vet said he doesnt usually spay female rabbits.
I cant see how she could be bored to be honest because she has loads of toys and exciting places to be, im at home with her a lot and my hubby and daughter spoil her rotten!
Would she take to another rabbit now? She is very jealous!!!!

Having her spayed could well improve her mood, but bunnies will dig and chew at pretty much anything. As tracey has sugested perhaps a bunny friend would help, as when your not around she will have the other bunny to play with.

Do you think i should get her an older bunny or a new bunny? WIll i have to go through a bonding process and what does that consist of? She is quite on the large side! (She loves her cereal in the morning!!!!):lol:
Sorry if i am sounding a little dopey, i have guinea pigs and they seem to be much less demanding than crazy daisy! She takes up more of my time than the rest of my family!
Thanks for your advise by the way.
Do all your bunnies live in pairs or groups?

yes you will have to bond them but best to get her Speyed first then get a male neutured friend for her. This will be the best way to go. Then introduce them in a neutral place.

oh and find a vet who will spey rabbits:?
good luck

:D

Last edited:
She's basically behaving like a bunny :lol:

Getting her spayed may calm her down. If your vet won't spay her you will need to find a rabbit savvy vet, there are plenty around.

Getting her a friend after she's spayed will perhaps distract her from your walls and skirting board.:lol:

Does she have a cage/dog crate as a base? If she can't be trusted maybe it would be best confining her to the cage/crate with a pen attached while your out.

Nicola

My vet said he doesnt usually spay female rabbits.
I cant see how she could be bored to be honest because she has loads of toys and exciting places to be, im at home with her a lot and my hubby and daughter spoil her rotten!
Would she take to another rabbit now? She is very jealous!!!!

I wonder why your vet said he doesn't spay female rabbits. It is advsable that she is because female rabbit have got a very high chance of getting cancer, unless they are spayed. Think the figure is 80% of female rabbits.
She definitely sounds like she needs it doing. It will calm her down no end, but she will still probably dig. You could always try clicker training to get her out of the habbit. Once she has been spayed after a few months she would love a friend. A lot of the digging is due to boredom and she will probably not do this as much if she is occupied by another bun.

Please make sure she is spayed before introducing her to a male rabbit. if you go to a sanctuary they will help you find the most suitable bun for her.

Thanks for your advise - boredom and hormones then!
I know how she feels!
WIll 2 girl bunnies mix well?

Thanks for your advise - boredom and hormones then!
I know how she feels!
WIll 2 girl bunnies mix well?

it really comes down to the bunnys temperament but a male/female combination is suppose to be the easiest to bond.

If your vet says he doesn't spay rabbits, then you need to find a rabbit savvy vet as rabbits are classed 'exotic' and barely covered in vet training - A rabbit savvy vet will have been to small animal conferences to update knowledge on their care as they are quite delicate animals.

As for her behaviour, she needs lots of nice, green, fresh hay twice a day to chew on - try a riding stables or farm as most pet shop hay is inedible and just for bedding.

Being spayed might help her behaviour, but I have a neutered male bunny who acts just the same - he's much happier outside with other rabbits for company.

As for getting her company - if she's not spayed (and even if she was) she will be very territorial and will attack and seriously injure any other rabbits on her turf, so it has to be done very carefully if at all, and certainly not till she's been spayed for a few months and her hormones have died down a bit.

Im off to a rabbit rescue centre to have a good chat with them and see if they can offer me advise on local vets etc.
Thanks for your advise!

Good luck!

I have 2 bonded doe's but they have been together from being quite young and were both spayed when they hit 6 months.

Just to add if she is overweight your savvy vet may advise a diet before he can spey.....to find the reproductive organs vets have to dig through the fatty tissue on the tummy and the bigger the rabbit the harder this makes the op as no two Does have arteries in the exact same spot (around this area). All this digging through the tissue causes more damage and can increase the recovery period and invasiveness of the procedure.

One of my Doe's Lily, is a bad tempered little minx, there are health benefits to neauturing but temperament wise it made no difference to her lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back