• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Upset tummy?

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I'm slightly worried about Gilbert. His tummy is very gurgley (could even be him farting, what does bunny farting sound like?), and when I gave him a cuddle just now,it looked like he'd done a tiny wee on me, but now it's dried I see that it's brown. His bottom doesn't look dirty or sore, but then I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, he's eating normally and there's no runny poos in the run or cage. He seems to drink an awful lot too, and he drinks funny, filling his mouth, then tipping his head back and swallowing, but I think this might be cos his dewlap gets in the way!! He's been having about a handful of pellets, a handful of veg (mainly greens but also tiny bits of broccoli,carrot, celery and apple) and loads of hay, and is ALWAYS hungry!!

Any thoughts?

xx

Jane - he's eating completely fine, and seems very happy in himself. I've never seen him do a soft poo, but Faye warned me that he does if he has too much veg. does this still sound like teeth problems?

Sooz - what's infacol? Also, he doesn't seem ill, or uncomfortable,he's eating and pooing fine, it's just the gurgling, and he's been like that off and on since he came.

In himself he seems more than happy - a minute ago he appeared to be playing hide and seek, only muffin wasn't playing, so it was really just him hiding and peering out looking for her!!

Infacol is a baby medicine that gets rid of trapped air in the stomach. I think its 1-2ml first dose, then 0.5-1ml every hour after (not sure of maximum daily dose). You can get it from pharmacies and supermarkets :) Hope he will be ok :)

Is it just during/after drinkingthat he gurgles? If so that's perfectly normal :)

If he is eating well, (do make sure that most of his intake is *hay*), producing normal 'currant poo' and not leaving lots of caecotrophs then he may just be a naturally rumbley Bunny!!

Janex

Is it just during/after drinkingthat he gurgles? If so that's perfectly normal :)

If he is eating well, (do make sure that most of his intake is *hay*), producing normal 'currant poo' and not leaving lots of caecotrophs then he may just be a naturally rumbley Bunny!!

Janex

Yeah now I think about it, it is just when he drinks, does everyone know that's normal :oops: :rolleyes: sorry, I guess I'm just paranoid after smudge (hamster) died when i'd only had him 2 weeks and 2 days. He eats well, mostly hay and I've never seen caecotrophs from either of them, but I presume they eat them before I see them. Thanks Jane, you've put my mind at rest! :)

p.s. thank you sarah for telling me about infacol - i'll get some for the storecupboard!

Sooz - what's infacol? Also, he doesn't seem ill, or uncomfortable,he's eating and pooing fine, it's just the gurgling, and he's been like that off and on since he came.

In himself he seems more than happy - a minute ago he appeared to be playing hide and seek, only muffin wasn't playing, so it was really just him hiding and peering out looking for her!!

I only mention it as Caspian was like that for two weeks (from the day after he arrived from the breeders) before becoming VERY ill VERY quickly.....he was eating/drinking/pooping fine and totally comfortable and happy but bloat and then stasis set in on Tuesday and he is now on 6 meds a day and facing a GA next week.

I very much hope its nothing as what I have gone through with him in the last few days I wouldnt wish on anyone :cry:

I only mention it as Caspian was like that for two weeks (from the day after he arrived from the breeders) before becoming VERY ill VERY quickly.....he was eating/drinking/pooping fine and totally comfortable and happy but bloat and then stasis set in on Tuesday and he is now on 6 meds a day and facing a GA next week.

I very much hope its nothing as what I have gone through with him in the last few days I wouldnt wish on anyone :cry:

I would guess the breeder never gave him veg or grass, so his new 'good' diet is the cause as he can't handle it? I know he had half a carrot when he was recovering slightly last week, as you mentioned it was all he'd eaten - carrot is the last thing a bunny with a bad tummy needs as it's full of sugar to feed the 'bad' bacteria.

They just want hay really, and if they won't eat it then you can substitute fibre by syringing it in - I guess that's what fibreplex is - I've never seen it? Someone on the forum also said they liquidise hay and syringe that in water, which is a really good idea too :)

With my buns I avoid brocoli and celery as they seem to upset Dandelion's tum. Took me three vet visits with poorly Dandelion to realise that celery was causing him to be bloated. With new buns you need to stick to what they were being fed before and gradually introduce new things. Hope he's feeling ok anyway.

I would guess the breeder never gave him veg or grass, so his new 'good' diet is the cause as he can't handle it? I know he had half a carrot when he was recovering slightly last week, as you mentioned it was all he'd eaten - carrot is the last thing a bunny with a bad tummy needs as it's full of sugar to feed the 'bad' bacteria.

They just want hay really, and if they won't eat it then you can substitute fibre by syringing it in - I guess that's what fibreplex is - I've never seen it? Someone on the forum also said they liquidise hay and syringe that in water, which is a really good idea too :)

All the meds I mentioned were aimed at improving his stomach flora and fibre intake....he also has to eat porridge as its high fiber, for the next few days. Yes Fibreplex is a high fibre tube feed (like Panacur paste), he lovs it so easy to get down him.

In his case the noise is constant and extremely audible which Anita (having heard it very clearly yesterday) agrees is totally abnormal and he is still bloated even now. I agree his diet whilst ill probably didnt help but I had reached the stage of 'get him to eat anything and get him to eat it NOW'.....I would have fed him my little finger if he would have eaten it :(

I hope Gilbert is back to normal today Lib.

Back