• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky eyes after op? Ideas please!

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
Dusty had his erm "bits" off yesterday, :shock: was fine when I left him in the morning (I did a general health check before he went, bum, eyes ears etc) but when I got home (my mum collected him from the vets for me) his eyes were weeping.

There was no pus or anything, but the discharge was just like sticky water. (Sorry for the bad discription) His eyes didn't look red but there was the water on his fur and in the corners of his eyes :?

I bathed his eyes last night just with some water to get the stuff off his fur and there isn't any this morning. His eyes look fine just as normal!

He seems fine in himself, has done lots of poohs, big wee in his indoor hutch (wanted to keep an eye on him) and a BIG wee on the mat by the back door when I let him roam free in the kitchen this morning :roll:

I was wondering if anyone else had encounted this? Could it be something to do with the general he had??

Going to ring the vets on my dinner to ask if they can shed any light on it but wanted an opinion from you guys too! :D

My bunny had funny eyes after his neuter. My boyfriend suggested that they may have been keeping his eyes moist with drops while he was under the GA? Or maybe they tape their eyes shut and have to remove the tape with some kind of chemical which is a bit greasy? His eyes themselves were fine, just the fur around them was wet-looking and greasy for a few days after. Glad your bunny is recovering well :)

i asked that same ? to my vet this am as i had noticed my buns eyes wet after her spaying 2weeks ago he said it was to do with the sedation as their eyes are closed tightly they tend to dry so when they open again they produce more liquid causing them to weep.

Thanks for your replies, I phoned the vets and they said it was drops they put in to keep the eyes moist!! :D

My boyfriend suggested that they may have been keeping his eyes moist with drops while he was under the GA?

Clever boyfriend!!!

Feel silly for being so worried now :oops: was paranoid with all the myxi going round, thought I'd sent him for castration and he'd come back with that, felt sooooooo guilty. Can't wait to get home and see him, he was so good about taking the fibre medicine they gave me, he was just eating it where the girls tried to spit it out!!! :roll:

Back