• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eyes

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

Rusty today has got watery eyes and look a bit sore. We have cleaned them up with some cotton wool and warm water and will take him to the vet on Monday if not better. Apart from the eyes he seems fine in himself.

Just wondering if there is anything to worry about? Vacs were done six months ago and teeth were good then too, although have not been checked since.

I really worry about him when ever I see anything wrong so just would like some advice before Monday? I'm guessing as he seems fine in himself there is no need for emergency vets? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks everyone X

Are both eyes watery?

Bobbin has had a watery eye recently due to a scratch on his cornea. It cleared up last week but now the other one is watering :? He shakes his head a bit too and then has a good ear scratch. I'm starting to think that he has something wrong wit his ears, perhaps mites and the scratch and hence the watery eyes are down to accidentally slipping whilst scratching his ears.

On the other hand it could be down to teeth problems, as Jane has just informed me if the roots are long there is nothing you can do but to soothe the eyes.

You should have him checked over for teeth and eye problems. Jane says that mites can not always be seen with a stethoscope and teeth problem are hard to detect if the bun is awake.

P.S Bobbin is also fine in himself, eats and poos well and always runs and binkies about so I suspect he's not in pain, sounds the same for yours and I should think it's not necessary to see an emergency vet.

Thanks for the reply. I shall go on Monday and see what they say. Both eyes are watery, but he seems otherwise fine in himself. Hope your bun gets better soon X

Back