• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried Pineapple?

lucyj

Mama Doe
I read on here ages ago that it was good to give ur buns a piece of dried pineapple when they are moulting. I bought a bag yesterday, but Im not sure how big a piece or how often to feed it?

Fresh is better - but just a little bit now and then because its very sweet.... Mine used to love it - but seem to have gone off it totally which is a ****** cos they are starting to moult.

i give mine fresh and dried as a treat. Dried is more concentrated with sugars so you need to feed that more sparingly. I give mine just a piece or two at a time, maybe a 2-3 times a week (dont want them porky lol!). As for fresh, maybe just a chunk 2-3 times a week

Dried or tinned pineapple is completely useless - it's just a sugary treat which could give them gas, and probably rot their teeth too.

If you want a convenient form of the pineapple enzyme, which is helpful when they moult as it dissolves mucus and lets water soak into the stomach contents, get bromelain tablets from Holland and Barrett. I give my moulting bunnies one a day with their pellets - they smell lovely and pineappley, and they eat them no problem :)

i dont feed mine pineapple for any other reason than for treats. How is it meant to help moulting? How does the stuff from holland and barrett help? ive never given my bunnies anything for moulting before, i just let them carry on as normal?

pineapple has an enzyme in it which breaks down protein. Some people use it as a tendersising marinade on meat. Hair is made up of the protein Keratin so presumably, especially when combined with the acids in a buns tummies, it acts on the hair and breaks it up in to more manageable chunks or disolves it completely.

Enzymes can be destroyed through heat which is why there may be less in canned pinnaple. If the pinapple was air dried then the enzyme would still be there......they can be dried which is why you get biological washing powder.

Is the juice as good as the fruit?

I've bought fresh pineapple juice and frozen some in an icecube tray to melt down for Muppet once in awhile (two cubes at a time). I drank the rest :D before it went off!

pineapple has an enzyme in it which breaks down protein. Some people use it as a tendersising marinade on meat. Hair is made up of the protein Keratin so presumably, especially when combined with the acids in a buns tummies, it acts on the hair and breaks it up in to more manageable chunks or disolves it completely.

Enzymes can be destroyed through heat which is why there may be less in canned pinnaple. If the pinapple was air dried then the enzyme would still be there......they can be dried which is why you get biological washing powder.

Like I said in my post - it dissolves the mucus surrounding the stomach contents, not the actual hair!

When there's a mass of hair and food in a rabbits tum, it moves more slowly the bigger it gets, until it eventually gets stuck. The longer it is in the intestines, the more it dries out, and the drier and bigger it is, the harder it is for the rabbit to pass out as droppings. That's why it's important to make sure your rabbit drinks plenty (mine drink more from a dish than they do from a bottle) and also bromelain enzyme in fresh pineapple, or in tablet form, helps the water to soak in, as it dissolves the mucus surrounding stomach contents. Mine only get bromelain tablets when they are moulting though.

Back