• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning - hutch sprays sorry long post..

lucycat

Warren Scout
Made a HUGE mistake yesterday and feel so bad I have poisoned my bunny. Went in for a good hutch clean out fairly normal for a Saturday but decided to try out a new hutch spray to kill mites etc made by Johnson sold at the dreaded PaH.

Cleaned out at 2-3pm followed instructions about airing etc, put back in runs at about 3.15pm. All fine. Meant to go out at 6.30 so 6pm put both in hutch physically putting dylan in the top deck of his hutch. Went to heat up snuggle safe - 6 minutes. Came back dylan was flat out, struggled to get up flung himself down again. I lifted him up and brought him inside where he promptly hopped twice before konking out flat again.

Emergency vet. Result pymethrin poisoning suspected it attacks the nervous system. His heart rate was slow, pupils not reacting properly stomach stopped gurgling last night. hospital overnight.

He is now home and indoors with silky but hardly eating; in contrast silkys digestion has slowed but she is eating normally. I have been syringing him critical care but he is a big rabbit and eats loads normally. Instructions say 50ml for 1kg dylan is 5-6kg!!!! Thats a lot of syringing. Help please any ideas??? Ive tried all his favourites dried fruit, apple, greens, even bread but hes not interested.

Have you tried baby food, or mushing up his pellets with water, or porridge oats? Just trying to think of things that may tempt him.

That's a terrible thing to have happened. Hope he starts eating soon and feels better.

Thats terrible, poor bunny.

I hope you make a complaint to the manufacturer, and to PaH, write to them and explain what has happened.

What is the stuff, I have a disinfectant spray I use in the hutch, don't use it all the time, just if its a bit smelly.

poor boy - I hope he recovers soon! :(

Definitely report this to the manufacturers - it shouldn't be possible if you followed the instructions, although maybe it drys slower in cold weather - they should have a warning on the pack if so!

:shock: :shock: OMG how terrible. I would say getting fluids into your bun is very important even if food is a no-no. Can you get your hands on some Diorolyte(rehydration therapy powder you make up with water used for humans with diarrhoea). He may take that and even tho' its just fluid it will help his guts along a bit. The more fluids you get into him the quicker the residual toxins will be flushed out. If he has not started to eat within the next 12 hours you need to take him back to the vet. What a shocking thing to happen :cry: :cry: Jane and Buns xx

It is not your fault, you followed instructions and this shouldn't have happened.

Definately complain to PAH and the makers of the spray, meanwhile healing vibes coming for Dylan and big hugs for you

:shock: Oh No! that sounds terrible! hope your little guys will be ok. I agree, you should report this to the people who make this stuff!

How is Dylan today?

How are you getting on with getting fluids and food into him?

I wish I knew what to suggest but I'm still learning at the moment.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get Dylan eating? If so please forward your suggestions on.

I really hope he is getting better today. What a terrible shock. Please let us know how he is.

Sending lots of bunny hugs to gorgeous Dylan.

L of L,

Nic N harvey xxx

BUNNY1.jpg

OMG! i cant believe that. it doesnt bear thinking about what might have happened.

let us know how dylan is getting on *hugs*

That is so bad! Especially from a product meant for using around bunnies. I really hope both buns are feeling better soon.

Well...dylly came out of hospital at 12pm yesterday but they warned me he wasnt eating much or pooing. He didnt eat, even his old favourites all yesterday so at about 4pm I gave up and started to syringe feed him a critical care mix plus lots of water and made him hop around outside. He seemed to like the syringe food tho. Kept doing this every 2-3 hours and rang vet again at 6pm who said they couldnt do any more than that if they admitted him but to ring if it worsened as they cant use the stimulant drug anymore as its been discontinued. Finally at about midnight poos 8 of them! Dyl is normally an eating pooing machine. He then started to much greens and today has munched more greens and nibbled a carrot.
Phoned manufacturer who told me (he would but then again...) that it is a really safe product and this would be really unusual especially in rabbits. Advised me to use soapy water and disinfectant to break the oil in the permethrin but that it took 5-6 weeks to break down. He thought it was more likely to be an allergy to the perfume as there is no way it touched his skin (paper and vetbed on floor, carboard insulation around walls and SIX minutes) and he would send an adverse reaction form (and Ill send him my bill and PaH). Am really scared about returning him to his hutch as he seems so sensitive to something. The only other thing I can think is maybe its something else as he is prone to flinging himself onto the ground and twitching I call it his drop dead act. Not like this tho??? I worry about him; lots!

The moral is soapy water only in future nothing else for my buns! The other one is fine despite same spray and told me so by chewing through the modum wire AGAIN hence no further postings last night.

*phew*

so happy to hear that he is eating and pooping again. i'd be worried too. i guess the best you can do is give it a good hard scrub out and then as much airing as possible.

i would still take the matter further though as who knows what might happen if everyone let it slide!

I'm so glad to hear he's better now.

I use vinegar to clean the hutch and cage. It works a treat - nothing I've used gets rabbit pee off so well!

Just to let you know that i use this named cleaner and have never had any problems at all and we use it every night and have done for 3 yrs, i'm not saying that this isn't what caused your bun the problem i just thought you should know just in case it's something else that may have kicked it off, i'd be intrested myself if others out there use this named cleaner and have you had any problems.

Every bun is different and it's possible that your bun had a very unusual reaction to the spray... I use it with my mice and hamsters and I see that Twiggy uses it without problems. I guess the thing to be aware of is that after using a new product you need to keep a good eye on your buns in case they don't get on well with it.

Back