• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Question for minilop breeder?

Mileycyrus

New Kit
Hi, I'm from Sydney Australia. I wanted to let my blue point mini lop doe have one litter before desexing.

The problem I have is I am unsure if she has already given birth or is about to? She still seems plumpish and I have noticed her teets are formed. She is only a small little doe ( was the only one on her litter ) and I'm now worried if I may have cleaned her cage too well and the kit/kits may be gone. (just terrible)

Is it normal for pregnant does to grow their teets prior to actually giving birth? I'm really hoping she has not had them yet? She is still eating really well and I have not noticed her go off food ( I was told they can go off food when about to give birth?)....please help!!

I'd consult a vet who can ascertain whether or not she's still pregnant, for her wellbeing too. It will put your mind at rest also. :wave::wave:

Further

Hi, she was mated with my 6 month old blue mini lop buck about 31 days ago. She is eating considerably more and also drinking lots of water ( more than usual over the past 5 days). Her teats are small hard. My question is do their teats change slightly prior to kindling? If they do, I assume she is pregas. If they only change after kindling then, the kits may have been born already. She seems quite normal at the moment though?

when our doe is pregnant, she normally stops eating as much for 2 days before she gives birth.
Dont worry too much even if you have chucked the nest away she will make another one, some times they make a nest 2 or 3 days before giving birth sometimes just an hour or 2 before giving birth.
They generally seem to know what they are doing so we just let them get on with it.
When they are born, we try to avoid touching the kits as little as possible, but sometimes you can help it, at some point you need to clean inside the next box and you have to lift the whole thing up to put more bedding underneath. This time we have waited about 5 days before we are going to change the bedding under the nest, but we will just pick the whole furry bit up change the bedding and put it back down.
Hope this helps a bit.

Jon

Thanks Jon! Your help appreciated!

I'm glad to hear that instincts kick in. I check up on her every few hours and she seems to be eating a lot so I assume she has a few days to go.

Back