• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piggie people please help - Barbering?

S7300858.jpg

S7300857.jpg

S7300855.jpg

She's been on her own for 4 days now, and although she's never been the tidiest of piggies, I've noticed a perfect strip across her shoulders where she appears to have been barbering herself. Hope the pictures are clear enough. I've not seen her doing anything and I'm certain she doesn't have mites. What do you guys think?

Thank you :wave:

Last edited:
has she ever had mites? mine had the same problem when they had mites when I first got them took the fur ages to grow back

No I don't think she has tbh. She's had a few statics but thats about it.

Her skin looks really nice and healthy, it's just the hair has been trimmed down to about 2cm roughly to the point she can turn her head round too.

The only barbering I've ever experienced was when I had a group of 3, and the youngest used to occasionally give the other two a hair cut. She just used to do it occasionally, no idea why! :?

If it's a lone piggy barbering, it could be due to boredom/stress I guess...

The only barbering I've ever experienced was when I had a group of 3, and the youngest used to occasionally give the other two a hair cut. She just used to do it occasionally, no idea why! :?

If it's a lone piggy barbering, it could be due to boredom/stress I guess...

She is quite stressed, her partner died and I've moved her inside to keep a closer eye on her.

I've had the same experience as SarahP, one of our gang took a fancy to our alpaca's hair and gave him a short back and sides!!:shock:

As regards boredom, I have heard giving piggies plenty of hay and things to nibble helps, have you tried stuffing wc rolls with hay, perhaps suspending them from the cage, tissue boxes full of hay etc. I have various things hanging around our cage and this together with the gangs normal hay seems to keep them al busy. What a pretty piggy.:love:

Thanks everyone. She seems to be doing it overnight as the hair is thinner this morning. Shes got some toys and a massive pile of hay to chomp through.

Is there anyone who's a member of a guinea pig forum who wouldn't mind cross posting? I'm a member but I can't post :(

One of my piggies went like this at the beginning of the year. I tret them all for mites just incase and kept an eye on her. It grew back pretty quickly and shes never had a problem since.

Sorry i cant be much help :?

I have answered the TGPF thread - please have her checked for mites. They have a habit of popping up in stress situation - especially in the middle of the back. The hair thinning points towards that, also the location in the middle of the back.
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Barbering is more like cutting hair, but not thinning it out.

Last edited:
Yes the hair is cut, it's down to about 2cm so looks thinner, she's also looking like someones tried to cut layers round her back end.

Sorry should've said shorter not thinner!

I've got some Ivermectin so I might give her some just in case.

Back