• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turn for the worse

Flora

Young Bun
As some of you might know i rescued a female rabbit and three babies on tuesday.
Things have taken a turn for the worse in only a couple of hours . I moved them to the spare bedroom as this was much better suited. On moving them to the bedroom i picked up flora properly( for the first time since having her) and i am really shocked at how skinny she is. So skinny that you can feel all her ribs, her spine, and her hip bones also. On closer inspection you can see them vivdly through her fur. At being shocked at this i also cheaked her teats ( as if she is this skinny would she have enough milk). Her teats are really small and so we tried gently to she if she is lactating. Unfortunately on trying on all of them i realised she is not producing any milk at all. I next thought it was essential to throughly check the babies over. Theywere cold and really wrinkly( judging on this i think they are around 48 hours old as yesterday they seemed okay. got her tuesday). I managed to get some goats milk down them in a syringe and get them warm again in the airing cupboard with lots of newspaper and towel.
So i think i will be trying to feed them from now on. ( Also is goats milk suitable or is there something better)
Have just checked on them and they seem to be okay ( asleep and warm).
Just wondering if you could help me with some further advice on this, and also would they need stimulating to go to the toilet.
Flora seems to be okay too.
If you have red my other post i seem to think she might be pregnant again as the male was humping her. As she is that skinny, would she be able to support another litter of babies ( i think they will be due around the end of august b. begining of september).
I am feeding her three times a day at the moment. ( Do you think that feeding her three times a day is okay).
The next priority is to see if i can get the male rabbit ( obviously they wont be kept together).
Will be really thankful for lots of advice as i am really worried about flora her babies, and the male that is still left there.

I've replied on your other post about the babies.

Yes, definitely give her unlimited pellets (a junior or breeder pellet is best for a pregnant/nursing doe). Also give her lots of greens if she's used to eating them

I've replied on your other post about the babies.

Yes, definitely give her unlimited pellets (a junior or breeder pellet is best for a pregnant/nursing doe). Also give her lots of greens if she's used to eating them

Thanks for your reply, will change on to a junior diet.

Don't do it too quickly though, any change should be done gradually. What pellet is she on at the moment?

Would it be sort of the same as dogs, taking up to about 2 weeks to change the food over. I have put her on science selective rabbit

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Was she on science selective before you got her? Or have you changed her onto that since you got her?

Science select do a junior pellet which is suitable for lactating does so it would be good to get her on something like that.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...ucts_id=2766&zenid=lo56m5ummam9e5s2g3ilkhg2q7

When I change my buns food I generally do it over a week mixing the two together reducing the proportion of the old one over the course of the week.

However I've no experience of lactating does. There must be somebody else on here who could advise you better??

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Was she on science selective before you got her? Or have you changed her onto that since you got her?

Science select do a junior pellet which is suitable for lactating does so it would be good to get her on something like that.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...ucts_id=2766&zenid=lo56m5ummam9e5s2g3ilkhg2q7

When I change my buns food I generally do it over a week mixing the two together reducing the proportion of the old one over the course of the week.

However I've no experience of lactating does. There must be somebody else on here who could advise you better??

She wasn't on much of anything, apparently what was cheap, so i think it was anything. So i have put her on that science selective.

I really dnt have any advice as I'm not a pro on these things but I just wanted to send warm fuzzy vibes to Flo and her babies! I hope they pull thru, really made me get a lump in my throat. Keep us posted on their progress please would love to follow this story xx hugs to you to as it must be a tough time for you xx

how are they doing today??

I think you said you are talking to the vets today so hope they can help.

Back