• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered boy and un-neutered girl poss Bond?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Ok so we had Comfrey (male) neutered about 2-3 months ago - he has just about recovered from being a very neglected and unwanted hutchbound bun for 2 years before coming to us. However he is still obviously very lonely despite all the love we give him. We were keeping him 'in waiting' so to speak as he is our 15th bun and we promised ourselves that we would not succumb to 16. We thought that he could wait till there was a male 'vacancy' (I know it sounds horrid but we really only took him on on that understanding).

However . . . in walks Milk Thistle this week - found 2 streets away. A lovely lovely girl about 9 months old. Desperately in need of love.

She is fit and well but needs to have all her jabs and settle in before my vet will happily neuter her - meaning that it will be a good month or so before she can be neutered ideally.

BUT we are now really really pushed for space (Comfrey is in our bedroom while he waits for a new run to be built in the garden, Parsley and Peaches in the study where they always live, Teasal and Robinia in the dining room and living room and patio ditto - the rest all have their aviary runs and cages in the garden and there are no spares) and we kind of wondered whether it might be possible to bond Milk Thistle with Comfrey now, and then neuter her later????

Bonding now would mean that hopefully Comfrey would cheer up a bit, we would not have to try and persuade the lodger to have Milk Thistle in a cage in his room, and Milk Thistle would settle in quicker as we would not have to carry her in and out twice a day and she would have a friend.

Has anyone done a male neuter to female un-neuter bond??

What does anyone think?

(Don't worry she WILL be neutered in a couple of months time once all the jabs etc are over).

How long have you had her? Ideally you really want to wait a couple of weeks before introducing a bun you have no history of just in case she is carrying anything contagious.. myxi, syphilis, worms, snuffles etc. which might not be obvious immediately.

I would go myxi, wait two weeks, spay, wait two weeks VHD. You can introduce 10 days after the spay op as he's already neutered.

That said it is possible to introduce an unneutered female to a male (never the other way around) although it is not as easy and there are more likely to be complications. You'd also need to work out what to do whilst she's neutered. IF it's a new bond you are more likely to need to seperate while she heals if there is still alot of mounting going on.

Tam

I have successfully bonded unspayed females with neutered males on two occassions but only where the females were babies and too young - therefore were also not hormonal. However as they get to the age where the need doing you need to keep close watch as in one of my pairs the female became a right royal pain. Fortunately her husbun is very very laid back.

In your case I would really agree with Tamsin on the quarintine period. Also as your bun is older she may already be too hormonal and it might be best to spay her first.

When I've (temporarily) had an entire girl bun with a neutered male she was constantly running circles around him and nipping his bum to try and get some lovin'. Poor guy had to sit on top of her to keep her happy. That said it did make for a very devoted bond :D

I've bonded neutered boy and un-neutered girl quite a few times.

It really depends on the personality of the doe, some naturally display less hormonal behaviour than others. If the doe is chilled out and friendly or timid then you may be okay...but be very careful if she's at all territorial, grumpy or has false pregnancies.

I've just gone through the bonding thing with a neutered one year old male and an un-neutered 11 week old female.
It has gone very well and he is looking after her - we will get her spayed in a few weeks time.
She is timid and passive and loves him very much. They play together and he lets her share his bed and bowl of food - even though they have separate things.
We have had him for 6 weeks and her for 3 days.
I know we have been lucky though. :)

Up until recently, last year, all my bonds were with a neutered male to an un-neutered female, and I had no problems. I have since speyed all my females, including the ones already bonded and again had no problems. I kept the boys near but seperate, while the girls recovered from the op, and then reintroduced.

Back