• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I was just whondering, as I haven't done this because I wasn't sure if it was allowed as I'm sure I read it somewhere that we shouldn't give rabbits or rodents grass which are cut by lawn mowers, but I can't remember where I read it from!

So my question is have you ever or do you give your rabbits or guinea-pigs grass from lawn mowers, instead of chucking it away?

I have read this too , i only ever hand pick fresh grass . Fresh grass should be fed gradually to rabbits and guinea pigs if they have been without it all winter because it causes bloat ;)

Hmm, I really wouldn't, I've heard of someone putting their lawn cuttings into a horse's paddock and the horse actually died.

I wouldn't take the risk either. I hand cut mine. I actually got caught by me neighbour last night. There I was in the front garden thinking it was all clear (i was in my pink fluffy dressing gown torch in hand) cutting away at the grass for the buns and my neighbour passed behind me grinning with his dog and said "Evening" with a glint in his eye :oops: I fed it to the buns saying to them, "the things I do for you lot!" :roll:

I would never risk giving mine grass cuttings. Can you pick it fresh by hand for them. :D

Hi there,

Just to make it clear for myself as I still cannot find the website where it says grass cutting is not allowed for pets with reasons. But I can't remember what the reasons were - do any of you know?

Also what is the different of cut grass or hand picked grass, as they both are the same?:? It just that when I hand pick them, the roots come out and I'm not sure if they are safe?

I just want to be fully aware of this so sorry for asking lots of questions!

Grass that has been mown starts to ferment straight away, because the speed of the cutting blades damages the grass and causes it to start rotting very quickly - also the speed of the blades heats it up and this also makes it start to rot. This means that there is a high risk that it will give your bunnies bloat.

You can feed grass cut by hand, or grass cut with scissors though. I just use a pair of scissors and I'm sure my neighbours must think I'm crazy :)

My two nethies also have a basket in their run which has grass growing in it. I have covered the top with mesh so they can't dig in it or get to the roots, but it allows them to eat fresh grass when the blades get longer than the mesh :)

Hmm, I really wouldn't, I've heard of someone putting their lawn cuttings into a horse's paddock and the horse actually died.

Someone did that near our fields. Dumped a load of freshy cut grass, one of the ponies ate it all and later died :shock:

Grass that has been mown starts to ferment straight away, because the speed of the cutting blades damages the grass and causes it to start rotting very quickly - also the speed of the blades heats it up and this also makes it start to rot. This means that there is a high risk that it will give your bunnies bloat.

You can feed grass cut by hand, or grass cut with scissors though. I just use a pair of scissors and I'm sure my neighbours must think I'm crazy :)

My two nethies also have a basket in their run which has grass growing in it. I have covered the top with mesh so they can't dig in it or get to the roots, but it allows them to eat fresh grass when the blades get longer than the mesh :)

Thank-you for your detailed answer!!! :D

Thank-godness I've always cut fresh grass using scissors and I've never given my rabbit and guinea-pig grass from lawn mowers, as I wasn't sure.

That is frightnening hearing animals have died because of this, it really does make us think about the hazards.

:wave:

I wouldn't take the risk either. I hand cut mine. I actually got caught by me neighbour last night. There I was in the front garden thinking it was all clear (i was in my pink fluffy dressing gown torch in hand) cutting away at the grass for the buns and my neighbour passed behind me grinning with his dog and said "Evening" with a glint in his eye :oops: I fed it to the buns saying to them, "the things I do for you lot!" :roll:

LOL thats sounds like the kind of thing that happens to me all the time. The grass in my back garden isn't growing very well so i go out front for it. I make my OH come with me so we both look silly. I'm sure the neighbours think we are barking. :)

Back