• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanuts Sore Hocks....

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
they just wont get better.

when he was 'indoors' i.e in the outhouse but with fleece, vetbed etc they DID begin to get better, quite alot in fact. but since the foursome were seperated due to pebbles being left out, all four have gone back into their 2 pairs and back into their hutches.

since this, one of peanuts feet have stayed pretty much the same. however the other foot, has white stuff under the skin, and you can clearly see it has gone skeptic underneath. the bare skin is now as big as a 20p peice n cracked and sore.

He is going to the vets monday but the thing is, all they do is give us more cream and its not working.

what can i do? i feel so bad, but i dont know what else to do? the vet always says he cant be in pain because when she touches it he doesnt flinch, but i dont think thats a reliable way to judge, especially as he is very easy to handle n stays very calm?

any help guys? Im very worried for him and i feel like im hitting a blank wall

hm.. I know a lot of rex breeders recommend a thick bedding of straw for their hocks from when i was researching before getting Faline, so that could help.
Poor Peanut. :(

What do you use as bedding in the hutches? they do need deep straw and hay to keep the pressure off. do they have an area they like to sleep or flop out - i'd make that bit extra squishy and comfy!
what cream do they give you? if its a steroid then it wont be doing any good long term as it actually inhibits healing. normal human sudocrem works pretty well. someone once recommended some herbal thing involved in skin repair but i cant remember what it was - try googling!
If there is "white" under the skin that sounds like an infection or abscess so needs to be treated asap
ATB, let us know how it goes - i have lots of sympathy as fellow rex owner!

thats the thing...peanut ISNT a rex, hes a dwarf lop!

they have such thick straw it bounces practically, he is not overweight his claws are never long and he has a 6 foot hutch to live in.

i never exercise him outside when its rainy or damp bcus of his hocks, he plays in the conservatory when this is the case. he has a large 'box' in his hutch too which is fille dwith thick fleece so its much softer.

we use carefresh in his litter ( i get HUGE bales of shavings for £4 so really begrudge the care fresh lol)

i just....dont get it

sorry for the rex assumption. if there's no chance that he's a rex cross lop then i would image he has some problem further up, esp as its only in one foot. are his claws even length on each foot? has he ever had any leg injuries? can you stretch his affected leg right back and right down (i.e no leg motility problems?) i think it needs more investigation than just abs and cream

sorry for the rex assumption. if there's no chance that he's a rex cross lop then i would image he has some problem further up, esp as its only in one foot. are his claws even length on each foot? has he ever had any leg injuries? can you stretch his affected leg right back and right down (i.e no leg motility problems?) i think it needs more investigation than just abs and cream

yeh his legs are fine, and all his claws r the right length. he had his VHD jab 2 months agop and his myxi 6 weeks ago n the vet says otherwise he is in perfect health.

he had a EC scare last year, he lost weight ALOT, but after panacur etc he put it back on n has been fine ever since.

def not a cross with rex :)

Might sound silly but perhaps the straw is too rough to allow the wound to heal?

Are you able to just use hay for a while see if it makes a difference.

Poor lad, must be frustrating :?

Might sound silly but perhaps the straw is too rough to allow the wound to heal?

Are you able to just use hay for a while see if it makes a difference.

Poor lad, must be frustrating :?

doesnt make a difference as sometimes i cant get straw from our deliverer so sometimes they just have tonnes of hay n it doesnt change anything.

i feel so bad for him

hock-1.jpg

this is his hock, i took it just now because sometimes it 'dries' and it doesnt look so bad, but every day or so it seems to burst and puss and this is what it looks like.

he had an appt today but dad got delayed so now its tomorrow. im worried they will just give him cream like before.

whats scary is.. (and gross) i was dabbing sudocream on with a cotton bud (didnt want to use my finger to avoid germs) and the end of the bud went IN the hole where the puss is :?

what else will they do cept creme?

Back