• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need....

i dont give my 2 any extra vitamins or mineral blocks.

i presumed that because they have a healthy and balanced diet they dont need them

No, it's just like humans - if you're eating a proper balanced diet then you don't need those kind of supplements, and they could do more harm than good. Wild bunnies spend all day munching on grass and whatever plants happen to be around and they don't need supplements.

In particular I've never understood salt blocks for bunnies :shock:

You should check which vitamins rabbits need and make sure they are getting some foods which provide them, I wouldn't just assume that because you give them a varied diet all their vitamins will be provided.

I make sure my buns have a good mixed diet and that they are getting all the goodness that the need, especially Poppy as she was very skinny when I get her from the RSPCA.

You should check which vitamins rabbits need and make sure they are getting some foods which provide them, I wouldn't just assume that because you give them a varied diet all their vitamins will be provided.

Rabbits are evolved to live on a poor quality diet - they originated from places like the arid parts of Spain where there's little else other than parched grass! There is far more danger of giving them too much nutrient rather than too little. Science selective pellets nutrition information shows it has added vitamins and minerals anyway so if a few of those are being fed as part of a broader hay-based diet then I certainly wouldn't give any extra - it would be like doubling up on added vitamins.

Well I feel Annie is getting a good varied diet and she seems to be in top health so I'll stick to that unless there is a need to change :D I just got worried when a Miss-Know-It-All came to visit :roll:

lol don't worry, i know someone who feeds a mix, and then provides mineral thing's, and says I'm wrong for feeding pellets and hay! :roll:

xxx

Rabbits are evolved to live on a poor quality diet - they originated from places like the arid parts of Spain where there's little else other than parched grass! There is far more danger of giving them too much nutrient rather than too little. Science selective pellets nutrition information shows it has added vitamins and minerals anyway so if a few of those are being fed as part of a broader hay-based diet then I certainly wouldn't give any extra - it would be like doubling up on added vitamins.

In the wild rabbits don't actually live very long. Most populations eat a great variety of different foods along with their grass to get their vitamins etc. Over long periods of time populations can adapt to get their requirements from other sources if the supplies are limited. However individual rabbits can't adapt and if they have a deficiency may fall ill, eg "floppy rabbit syndrome".

I would make sure that your rabbits get an adequate supply of everything listed here, plus potassium:
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/nutrition/vitamins.php

I appreciate that - but most wild rabbits don't live very long because of disease and predators, not because of vitamin deficiencies. I think you'll find that the people on here whose bunnies are living to 10+ years of age don't use mineral blocks, they just feed an appropriate diet, which sounds exactly like Samantha is doing :D

My personal feeling is that most rabbits with genuine diagnosed FRS have an inherent problem with their digestion/metabolism and that, rather than diet, is the cause of the deficiency. I think it would be a lot more common otherwise.

I sometimes put one of the Vitacraft ones in for my two but it's for enrichment rather then vitamins!

I do give mine probiotics and glucosomine everyday but these are for their on going health issues. I think if you feed them a good hay-based diet, most rabbits are fine.

No, it's just like humans - if you're eating a proper balanced diet then you don't need those kind of supplements, and they could do more harm than good. Wild bunnies spend all day munching on grass and whatever plants happen to be around and they don't need supplements.

In particular I've never understood salt blocks for bunnies :shock:

i recently bought a salt block to make sure that they drink enough they lick the salt block and feel thirsty i use it particularly when theyre moulting as like kids they sometimes forget to drink lol

I put the very same question on the forum a couple of months back and I got the same responses. I stopped using it from then on.

Ive always had a mineral lick hanging on kebob.Will and B both loved them.Will lived a long life with no problems but B has had cystitis and was put on a low calcium diet as she was eating 2mineral licks a month.I always thought french lops needed more calcium in their diet as they are prone to joint problems in later life.Will had no joint problems but im worried B may have in the future as shes on this diet.

I give mine probiotic everyday, which stops their poos getting messy and also helps recovery after an operation as it's important that the get their tummy back on track. it's just in powder form and you put it in their water. always make sure too that the eat all of their food and don't just eat the tasty bits as they won't be getting all their vitamins, they will eat it if their hungry enough. ;)

i would defo stay away from mineral blocks as most are calcium based and too much causes sludgy bladder and could cause stones. I must occasionally admit to giving the vitamins you put in water when they're moulting but I don't think it does anything TBH if they are getting a good balanced diet.

I do give probiotic every couple of weeks or so.

bunnys don't need salt, even to encourage drinking. There is a small amount in pellets which is more than enough. To encourage extra drinking change the water twice a day and have a bowl as well as a bottle. Some people swear by unsalted veg water (cooled and cooked in a non aluminium pan...although I don't know if bunnys get alzheimers :shock:) or a little bit of apple juice.

potassium can be found in things like banana and tomatoes which are better than a mineral lick.

Last edited:
Rabbits only need them so that companies can make more profit.

I agree with most comments here; just like in humans too much can cause more problems than too little & unless you have an ill rabbit and are given veterinary direction a diet of mostly hay, some veg, pellets and fruit (in decreasing order) is more than adequate.

Back