• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge not eating, advice ASAP!!!

How does her belly feel? If its swollen and feels like a balloon then I'm not sure you should be syringe feeding as that sounds more like bloat.
If its more squidgy then I normally soak my buns usual pellets to syringe feed? Occasionally I add a little carrot puree or similar to it as that seems to make it go down better.
Does she drink from a bottle or bowl? If bottle I find with bunnies with dodgy bellies offering water in a bowl encourages them to drink when they wont make the effort to go to the bottle.
I also try and bother them into hopping about a bit etc to try and get their insides moving a bit. And I also try offering various herbs as we've one bun inparticular that will often take mint or lavender etc if she wont take anything else.
I'm lucky that so far all our buns have recovered quite quick after having metaclop. If she's not eating when you try again maybe she ought go back to the vet?
That's all i can think of really, hope it helps. Sending vibes x x

Sarah, you need to double check whether this is a simple GI stasis or bloat. If it is bloat, as long as it is not cause by a physical object, then it's fine. You can get the gas out thru your vet.

No rabbit like the taste and smell of Critical care. I stopped using it long ago. I substitute CC or Sc. Recovery w/ blackberries smashed via juicer, and mix the pulp w/ 1 mm cut out hay. They smell fresh and all my buns loves it.

If you don't have a juicer, just use a knife to cut raspberry or blackberry mix w/ hay. It's very good, my bridge bun Goofball ate 6 to 12 oz. per day for over 11 mth. period

Again, thanks everyone who has taken the time to post, its all so greatly appreciated!

Just to update, fudge has started eating and seems a million times brighter, shes very keen to eat and is now running up to me to see what i have to offer! Shes had dandelion, grass, mint and strawberry leaves, even hay!!!Also a lot of the vegetables that she didn't eat this morning have been eaten, but that could have been clove but I have a sneeky suspicion it could have been her as clove is a fussy wee bunster and usually leaves cucumber!

I think I know the reason behind all of this, yesterdayI gave them some lovely big brocoli leaves to share between them and they get this daily and love them, but I gave an extra one more than usual, and I remember Clove seemed to miss the leaves as she was in run as soon as the pellets had been eaten, so me thinks Fudge scoffed all of the broccoli leaves, stalks and all resulting in a very gassy tum! :roll: I usually watch them till they have eaten everything as Fudge has a few dental probs so I'm always making sure shes showing no sign of discomfort, but it was so cold and wet yesterday I went back to the kitchen as Fudge was eating fine!

Obviously I'll be staying at home all evening and checking up on her to make sure this continues and will keep her moving too!:)

Last edited:
Great news! :) I had a feeling that once the evening started Fudge would improve - I've seen it happen loads of times with Dusty now. It's like it suddenly kick starts into life! :D

What a relief for you. :)

Glad Fudge is better. You did the right thing to keep going with her food. The way I see it, rabbits rarely fight to survive once they're ill, so you have to do it for them.

Just a quick update, shes still fine, gobbled down her breakfast this morning as if nothing had happened!:D She was in quite a funny mood, she kept standing up on her hind legs and looking me in the face as I sat on the floor and then licked my arm for a good 3 minutes, maybe thats her way of saying thankyou!:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again to everyone who replied!:wave:

Back