• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pyometra with yukky pics ,PLEASE READ P5, New pics added, xray results p9

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone have any experience of this?

Do you know if once she is neutered this will clear the problem up completely or is there still likely to be pus coming out of her?

Looking at the pictures is it definately pyometra or could there be a different cause?

Any infomation would be very helpful.

These pics were taken AFTER she was cleaned up, the smell is terrible :cry:

I will be getting an emergency appointment first thing in the morning.

HPIM0863.jpg

HPIM0864.jpg

HPIM0866.jpg

Last edited:
Oh bless her :shock: I must admit i dont even know what pyometra is. :oops: Is it a womb infection? Poor love. :( Is this a bun that you got from that rescue you mentioned in rabbit chat?

Yes it is an infection of the uterus and she is the bunny from the rabbit chat thread. I have also posted pics of her pretty face in pics and stories

I don't know much about it in rabbits but have had experience of it in rats and the principles are the same. Its in infection of the womb and a spay will take this away so remove the infection. Its the only way to get rid of it. I feel for your bun as its not very nice at all. My rat was too unwell and old to be spayed when she got it but we managed it well for several months with antibiotics.

I'm thinking of your girl xxx

:shock: Oh the poor wee girlie :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I've not actually seen Pyometra before but do know of some buns that have survived once they have been spayed :D:D:D

It may be something else but I doubt it :(

Here's hoping that the spay will help her and clear it up altogether:D

:shock: oh! Surely if she had been speyed only last week she would still have short fur on her tummy where they shaved her to open her up?

Just checked the piccis, doesn't look like she has? I must admit I'm horrified and a bit intrigued as I'm in herts I curious to know if its anywhere near me, is it poss to pm me and let me know which "rescue" this was?
Poor girl and I just looked at your thread in stories and photos too. She's such a beautiful girl :love:

If she was neutered last week the spey scar would be very obvious :?

I know. I can't find it,:?:? they said they would take the stitches out for me yesterday but then decided she had already chewed them out :shock::shock:

I shall have another look today when I clean her up as it is smelly and pusy again this morning :cry::cry:

If she was neutered last week, where is the 'hole', usually there is an obvious bald spot too?

I guess it could be an infection at the op site that is draining. It's very odd if she's already spayed.

If she hasn't been spayed and it is a womb infection then it would clear up afterwards.

Tam

Oh I see. In that case an emergency trip to the vets definitely. If she has been spayed then something has gone wrong and if not she needs to be spayed asap.

I know. I can't find it,:?:? they said they would take the stitches out for me yesterday but then decided she had already chewed them out :shock::shock:

I shall have another look today when I clean her up as it is smelly and pusy again this morning :cry::cry:

i really hope you report them.. rescue or not how can that state be better than where she was orginally :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

pearl still has short hair where she was shaved and she was done in december

She will be going to the vet first thing in the morning. I will ring as soon as they open, they know me well so i should get in straight away.

In her self she is lively and eating, pooping ok but it obviously hurts her to wee.

I have given her metacam and will be cleaning her with cooled boiled water later, not wet wipes :shock::shock::shock:

To be honest looking at the state of that I'd get her to the emergency vets today - if that infection continues to get worse I'd say there's a distinct possibility that she could well not be here to make a vets appointment in the morning. Poor love, that looks so sore.

Agree with Sooz..that bun hasn't been speyed and the "rescue" certainly need reporting.

Poor bun..do agree with Alison too..might be an idea to get her to vet today..especially if she is leaking puss..24 hours could be too late.

I agree with everyone's doubt about her having been spayed..where's the incision site, and where's the evidence of of the site having been washed in the antiseptic stuff before the procedure? Nia's tummy's still pretty bald and the blue dye is still there after 2 months!

Back