• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trio bonding crisis! please help.

Isabel

Warren Veteran
As many of you may know it has been a little bit up and down with the bonding of Mo in with Barney and Roxy. The last couple of weeks I thought things were improving but there has still been bits of Mo's fur around ( I have been checking them everyday). I came back tonight and there is piles of all of their fur everywhere, Roxy hiding in a corner and when Barnry came out from hiding I saw blood on his shoulder. I can't check him withought causing more stress but Mo has a tiny puncture wound and has hurt one of his claws.

Its like they've gone back to square one! Mo shoved Roxy out of a litter tray and thrn he and Barney started fighting!

Why has this happened? is it a lost cause or is there something that can be done. They have been together since a few weeks before Christmas.

Also what shall I do tonight???

Oh hun (hugs) I had similar problems bonding my 4 and gave up in the end. I just have them as two couples.

Firstly I would go pick up the wounded bun with blood to make sure its not a serious wound that needs vet treatment and that he is not in pain. Then check the others for wounds.

For tonight I would separate them as like you say its already day 1 again anyway so you may as well make sure no more injuries take place tonight. Its totally your decision. But personally I would give up now there is bloodshed. If its just superficial then maybe carry on but anything nasty then its just not going to improve - not in my bonding experience anyway.

Thank you so much. I've been waiting up for someone to answer :oops:

I've managed to check them all and can only find wounds on Mo and thankfully they aren't too bad.

Its so weird I really thought today they were getting on so much better. and the other day Mo did a happy flop.

Mo is with me now in the dinning room and seems fine and very relaxed. I'm so sad though :cry:

So sorry its not going well, I know how you feel - I'm trying to bond a fourth into my trio and having a nightmare....

I had a pretty hard time bonding my third, I was very nervous about leaving them together so only let them out together while I was around. It took longer but payed off as they are now happily bonded. Is this possible for you? Just let them together while you are around until you are sure they are bonded? Took me about 5 weeks with my trio and I'm on my 4th with my quads with no progress...

I'd separate them until wounds have healed for sure.

Good Luck xxx

I really don't know to be honest. I initially bonded them in the kitchen but I find it quite stressful seeing them tussle around which is why I always go for the quick method (I say always, I've only done it twice!). I think I'll have a think about it. Thank you x

How are all your bunnies today? x:D

Aww thank you for asking. Barney and Roxy are happy in the front room and Mo is slightly meloncholy in the dinning room. Still finding scratches on him but nothing serious. I have asked Jill to take him back :cry: I'm not sure how I'm going to manage that...

He's with us for another few weeks as Jill is full at the moment (I'm slightly relived about that!). I feel terrible. I wish I had the space and time for another pair but living in a flat with part time job and uni it just isn't going to happen. He's such an amazing bunny he' ssat on my knee now while I'm typing :(

I am so sorry! We are pretty much in the same situation - we are bonding our third into our bonded pair. Things looked good but early this morning the two males got into a nasty fight and I had to seperate them:( Edward got two bloody scratches, we cleaned him up and put him in the bathroom. We are thinking about waiting a couple of weeks with introducing them again... Edward is a bun we took from a petshop after him being there for a year - nobody wanting to buy a adult male who looks a little weird:( Our apartment is quite small so the bathroom cannot be a permanent solution. Really dont know what to do:cry:

I am so sorry! We are pretty much in the same situation - we are bonding our third into our bonded pair. Things looked good but early this morning the two males got into a nasty fight and I had to seperate them:( Edward got two bloody scratches, we cleaned him up and put him in the bathroom. We are thinking about waiting a couple of weeks with introducing them again... Edward is a bun we took from a petshop after him being there for a year - nobody wanting to buy a adult male who looks a little weird:( Our apartment is quite small so the bathroom cannot be a permanent solution. Really dont know what to do:cry:

Oh no sorry you have experienced the same thing. Its heart breaking isn't it. How long were yours together for?

Yes it is really heartbreaking. And I feel so bad for putting the buns through so much stress... Ours had only been together for four days although we have had Edward since before christmas, getting him neutered etc. It all seemed to go so well and then all of a sudden... Edward seems all depressed now, alone in the bathroom. I also wish we had space for another pair but like you we dont:cry:

Aw I'm sorry it hasn't worked out Isabel :( I think this seems to be a common problem with more than two xx

I have a trio and at one point I though I was going to have to seperate them as Sweetpea was getting chased all the time by Poppy, no major injuries but a few scratches. As a last ditch attempt I took them to my sisters for the weekend, 2hr drive, then kept them confined to the dog create for 10 days (time out for exercise of course) Now they are much much better. If fact I often see Poppy and Sweetpea cuddled up together, something I'd never have expected. Saying that I don't think I'd continue f there were major injuries, it's so sad especially if you have already bonded with the third bun :cry::cry:

It is such a shame it hasn't worked..and I'm sorry you've had to make the hard decision to return him..i know it wasn't easy for you..

and I understand you cannot get another bun for Mo..or want to keep him single...you have tried your best and given him a chance:D

We'll find him another home or he will stay as a pemanent.:D

so anyone near East Nottingham fancy a lovely cuddly older man who needs a dental now and then?
(Gamston vets do dentals without ga..less stress/recovery time to bun and only £10 per trip)

I was trying to sell the idea to James that Mo would love to live in the dining room with a French lop :rolleyes:

Apparently its James or a fourth bunny...I'm sure he said that about three.

That is so weird - my other half says the same! When we first got Roger (our first bun ever) he said ONE rabbit. Then after a while he started agreeing on getting Roger a wife so we got our girl Mýsla (means little grey mouse in Icelandic - she is grey but weights around 5 kg:D). After Mýsla he said that this is definately it - no more rabbits! Before christmas we saw Edward in a petshop and it took a while before we brought him home. I thought that since we were getting one more (the third) they why not get a little girl more?). And that he says no to:) There must be something with guys and four buns.... My friend had the same problem. She managed to adopt three buns in a week (going from zero to three). She wanted to adopt a fourth one when her boyfriend said its me or the fourth bun - your choice!:D Well, in the end she brought home the fourth bun and she is still with her boyfriend:p

Thanks for everyones support.

After much deliberation and consultation I have decided g to give it one more go. They are going to go to auntie Faye's and if they don't all get on nicely Benson is going to have words.

I know not everyone will agree with this but I real think we need to give it one more concerted go.

Thanks for everyones support.

After much deliberation and consultation I have decided g to give it one more go. They are going to go to auntie Faye's and if they don't all get on nicely Benson is going to have words.

I know not everyone will agree with this but I real think we need to give it one more concerted go.

Good luck! As I said I nearly gave up with my three, I just couldn't bear the thought of giving up Sweet Pea, it's really hard once you have the third bun.

Hope it works out for you!

Back