• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

List of safe/suggested veggies and fruits

kokaneeandkuhluha

Warren Scout
Hi all
I am getting tired of popping on the interent each time I feed to ensure that what I am feeding is OK; Also some sites say that something is OK and some disagree!! I am composing a list a veggies and fruits that rabbits can eat (and leaving off toxic ones, there are so many!! That way if it isnt' on my list I am not feeding it!).
Can I get some input, feedback from you all? If something is on my list and shouldnt' be could you let me know, or if I should add anything or change it?
Thanks very much!!!

Also does anyone know if cucumber is OK? I can't find reference to it anywhere?? (The at least one a day refers to : a rabbit requires one vegetable a day of these)

Alfa Alfa
Apple (no stem or seeds)
Apricot
Bananas Sparingly
Basil
Beet tops At least one a day
Blueberries
Bok Choy
Borage
Broccoli May cause gas and bloating
Brussel sprouts
Butternut squash
Cabbage (red, green or chinese)
Carrots (and tops) At least one a day
Celery Chopped
Chicory greens
Cilantro
Clover
Clover sprouts
Collard greens
Dandelion (greens and flowers) At least one a day
Eggplant
Endive At least one a day
Escarole
Grapes Sparingly
Green peppers At least one a day
Kale Sparingly
Melon
Mint
Mustard greens At least one a day
Okra leaves
Orange (including peel)
Papaya
Parsley At least one a day
Pea pods
Peach
Pear
Peppermint leaves
Pineapple
Plums
Pumpkin leaves
Raddichio- May cause gas and bloating
Radish (tops)
Radish Sprouts
Raspberries
Raspberry Leaves
Red Peppers
Romaine Lettuce At least one a day
Spinich Sparingly
Strawberries
Tomatoes (no leaves)
Turnip greens Sparingly
Watercress At least one a day
Wheat grass
Yellow peppers
Yellow squash

Can I ask what the at least one a day refers to : a rabbit requires one vegetable a day of these is all about? Mine might occassionally get watercress but the rest they dont, even carrot maybe once in a 3 month period and I gave up on the carrot tops and dandilion leaves due to their high calcium count:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why should they have certain veg every day?

That was going to be my question too. Rabbits in the wild will very rarely get any veg - and if they do it will be seasonal. Mine have very, very occasional veg. They are more likely to get a windfall apple - which a lot would in the wild at this time of year.

I have wondered if feeding regular veg could be a cause of bloat and stasis. They are not designed for such a rich diet.

Cheers

When feeding buns you should aim for 80% is of the bulk of their food coming from hay. A small handful of pellets should make up most of the other protein/vitamin/mineral contents needed and then a handful of veg helps bump that up and make the diet more interesting (of course if you don't feed pellets then you need to select your veggie with more care).

Most books recomend giving them a good vareity of veg over the week, making sure at least one of them is quite high in vitamin A which are:

Carrots (high in sugar so should only be given in small amounts) & tops,
brocoli
spring greens
spinach & kale (only fed occasionally because of calcium & oxilates)
Green pepper
Tomatoes (High in sugar so only small amounts)

I would only choose one or 2 of those a day, usually spring greens & then make up the rest from whatever we have in the house.

arrrggghhhhhhhh am i feeding too much veg??? i read on the house rabbit society they should have 3 servings of veg a day, ive slowly built it up from 45g to 75g a day split into 2 servings thro the day over the last few months, (i do sneak him extra lettuce because hes too cute) hes never had a stomach upset or that scary sounding bloat and ive not seen any of them poos that they are supposed to eat, he still munches his hay (at least 2 handfuls a day) and also likes his pellets.... and from what the website says ive to increase his veg intake as he gets older.... really really lost now?

if he is going to get this bloat when will it happen? is there a set age when veg starts to hurt them?

Well I give mine all veg, fruit and herbs apart from potato and lettuce and over the last 20 years no ill effects have occured.

They are out on grass all day though and only have Oxbow bunny basics pellets as a small treat - teaspoon between them.
Hay is given at night in their hutch to munch overnight and I give them whatever veg, fruit, herbs I have in the fridge. If they dont like it I dont give it to them again! They also eat herbs ad lib that are growing in the garden (they mullered nearly all my mint and rosemary last week!)
Regular foods I hand them are peppers, greens, carrots, apples, radishes, cucumber, kale (thats because these are my faves too!).
I give about a handful or 2 a day per rabbit. Some days they get none.

Rabbits in the wild will have different diets depending on geographics. For instance a rabbit in most parts of the UK will be exposed to British vegetables and grasses and herbs. Rabbits in more arid countries will only have access to grasses. I think if introduced slowly and at an early age they shouldn't have problems so long as they are getting plenty of roughage such as grasses and hays.

Sorry All!!
Ok, the "at least one a day" refers to ....at least one of any of these veggies a day (because they are high in vitamin A....

So, what do you all feed? I consistently read that their diet should be mostly hay and veggies (though not the fattening kind like carrots and fruit) and pellets should be limited. I've slowly cut back on the pellets and Kokanee lost a bit of weight (she was getting a little pudgy)...But I certainly don't want to ever deal with bloat or anything else!! :? What do you think is best?

so far Alvin is safe to eat romaine lettuce, cauliflower leaves, carrots, peppers all colours, broccoli, parsley, watercress, spring greens, kale, rocket, baby sweetcorn, green beans, and today hes trying parsnip for the first time..

i give him 3 items from the veggie list ive compiled that hes eaten successfully without a bad reaction each day (romaine lettuce is always one of the three because he loves it and its one of the ones with vit A), and usually add something new every two weeks or so, i currently weigh out about 75g and this gets split so he has it twice - three times a day....

if im feeding too much im not breaking the news to him.... :lol:

Can they eat corriander or chives? i have loads of these in my fridge and was debating whether to give him a bit or not?
I give him a small leaf in the morning with a few pellets and he has veg in the evening currently 2pieces of 3 different vegs tonight it was spring greens, carrot and kale!

There is a long list here of safe and unsafe fruits, veggies and woods. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46015&page=2 Bailey used to get a bowl of veg in the evening, but I stopped giving him veg when he got stasis (which I think was actually caused by moulting) and never reintroduced it. He gets a tiny bit of carrot if I am eating/cooking it (always raw though, don't worry). I might try and introduce veg again later, but my new bun is already a year and a half and I don't know if shes eaten veg much before, so I will have to do it very slowly.

Back