• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tempting bunnies to eat

any links would be appreciated

gail says zeb is still moping and wont eat - which obviously is affecting his pooing too

the vet doesnt think he is totally blocked up so hopefully having pain relief and gut stimulant will help but i know need to tempt him with some food. trouble is, he sniffs at it and then turns away. he does lick it with relish if i syringe water or pineapple juice down him so im considering syringe feeding him food tonight

any tips, help or anything? just want him back to normal as it will be nearly 48 hours since he did anything normal - all we've had since then is a few smallish poos and he's eaten 1 pineapple tablet & a few pieces of carrot top and blackberry leaf :( (plus the syringed liquids)

I usually find they are very tempted with herbs - basil or mint or coriander - something they will smell :D

I hope he is eating and pooing soon :D

i would try herbs too! but syringe feeding might be the best answer as then you know he is getting something. Either soak his usual dry food and mash it into a liquid or your vet should have something like "recovery" that is especially for that with lots of nutients in.
Hope he's feeling better soon

can i just add..they adore herbs like parsley.fresh dandelion greens..and basil..lambs lettuce..rocket..coriander..etc inthose baged salads..its what we are tempting willow th right now.
also i know its got fruit sugar in it but its better than nothingi say..we have always used HIPP organic baby food for 4monhts old..apple and pear pudding esp and the pear one..its gets their taste buds going..ill say berties going nuts sniffing it!
we alternate that with recovery or we mix the two togehter with a hugher ratio of the puding as then its not a batle to feed theybeg for it it it smells so good to them.
im glad its not a full blocakgeso surgery now not needed..phew!
shredded spring greens are usuall a fave and so is romainelettuce..fresh grass form garden etc..
good luck. i know how hard it is ive just given up with syringe feeding willow shes got to stressed and has begun to eat herhay and pick out a few pellets..shes loving her greesna dn her apple piece laced with metacam! :lol:

still not eating, tried fresh herbs, dandelion, blackberry leaves all his faves

he's had some sub-cutaneous fluids at vets this evenig. still not pooing but he's running around. am mystified now.

I always find syringe feeding does the trick. They do like it, and lap it off the syringe more often than not. Dandelion leaves are also good.

Awww, sorry to hear bunny is no better. I would keep on with the syringe feeding tonight.

I use the syringe from Dentinox Infant Colic drops (which I then bin) and I snip the end right off, which leaves quite a wide bore syringe. I mush the pellets down in boiled cooled water and mix it with banana baby food. The thickness of the syringe means you can get good pasty fibrous food in rather than just liquid. That's just my method, not an expert, but usually works for my lot ok.

Hope Zeb improves soon

Fiona x

I have just had a similar problem with a bunny, I needed to syringe feed him for 12 days as he was just not eating and pooing. When I returned him to the vet the stress of it all just sent him back and I was not making any progress.

He (Tyler) is now latching onto grass, the odd dandelion leaf, baby sweetcorn, apple tree leaves, carrot tops and the odd nibble of parsley. I was over the moon last night as he crunched a piece of science selective!

I have been gently massaging his tummy and regularly putting fresh bits of food in front of him to try and tempt him.

Just keep trying different fresh bits.

I also found he is happier in a run in the fresh air next to another bunny. They 'bunny speak' and Tyler has therefore been moving about which is also good.

Tylers problem occured from the stress of being neutered. We are now on day 17 and I finally feel I am winning.

Good luck, I am sure he will pull through with your help.

Alice

Oh, and a probiotic in his water, or food if syringe fed.

Back