• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo!!!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Holly's poo is tiny and wet, and stinks!! im sure its the poo she i supposed to eat they are like grapes. She gets it every so often. Shall i not give her veg for a while???

Thanks!!!

It'll be the pellets causing her to not eat her caecotrophs (soft smelly poops!!).
I'd cut out the pellets all together ( as long as she eats lots of hay) for a couple of days. Then just give half the amount of pellets she would normally have.
That should get her 're-cycling' efficiently again :wink: :lol:

Janex

Maa's had a dodgy stomach on and off for the last month, since she started her moult - every time I think she's better and give her normal amount of pellets and veg, she's doing wierd poo again next day.

If I cut her pellets to minimum, like 3 teaspoons, and don't give her veg she's better, but not very happy poor girl as she lives for her food :( She's not a big hay eater though - I think she just waits for 'real food' (pellets and veg) and picks at her hay if she has the chance.

seems to be fine eating grass etc on the garden though - mainly seems to be carrot and cabbage that set her off again, plus too many pellets for her - that's less than the other bunnies have but she doesn't seem able to take them at the moment.

I've got some bromelain tablets from holland and barrett and if her poos are a bit wierd looking I give her one - she loves them and they smell like pineapple (easier to keep than fresh pineapple too!)

Shame her hutch is next to Benny's - she gets so annoyed when he has his veg and she gets none - I've started letting her out on the garden while he's eating his veg, so she doesn't feel deprived.

I've recently had a similar problem so I've gradually changed my two onto SS pellets rather than excel and it's definitly improved things.Nice to know others worry about poop problems! I'm always talking about the rabbits movements!! :lol:

Jayne said:
I've recently had a similar problem so I've gradually changed my two onto SS pellets rather than excel and it's definitly improved things.Nice to know others worry about poop problems! I'm always talking about the rabbits movements!! :lol:

I was just going to say this. I had this problem with Charlie so I kept cutting down on excel pellets, it ended up with him not being able to keep enough weight on with eating just hay and a few teaspoons of pellets. So I started moving them over to eating Science Selective but never quite made it they currently eat a half and half mix of the two brands of pellets - and a fair amount too, half a cup each a day (I use a cooking measure). I know everyone says it shoudl be less but its the only way I can keep Charlie's weight on. They still eat a HUGE amount of hay (timothy - 1 kg bag in two weeks, plus at least the same in meadow hay).

So I agree with reducing the pellets but also think swapping brand is good, SS has a lot less protein than excel.

I do think though that excel are better for buns teeth than SS though, which is why I decided to stick with half and half beings as Charlies bum seems to be OK on this.

I hope you get Holly sorted, and I know what you mean about the smell! :shock:

Jayne said:
Nice to know others worry about poop problems! I'm always talking about the rabbits movements!! :lol:

There's always an ongoing thread on here about poop ... size, colour, texture - you name it. :lol:

I guess it's because pooping is such a big part of a bunny's life. :lol:

yes and it's so changeable :roll: no sooner do you relax thinking 'oh lovely big golden poops' than you turn around and the poops are small and black for no apparent reason that I can think of anyway - the difference between Maa's poops yesterday and today! :shock: Think malteser versus raisin - can't imagine why but I've given her a bromelain tablet anyway so fingers crossed :?

BevBunny said:
So I agree with reducing the pellets but also think swapping brand is good, SS has a lot less protein than excel.

Actually it has more! It's 14% as opposed to the Excel 12%. It does have much higher fibre though and it seems a lot less oily and loads of people say the sticky bum problems stop when they swap from Excel to SS, so protein levels alone don't tell the whole story (maybe it's to do with the source of the protein?)

AlisonA said:
Actually it has more! It's 14% as opposed to the Excel 12%. It does have much higher fibre though and it seems a lot less oily and loads of people say the sticky bum problems stop when they swap from Excel to SS, so protein levels alone don't tell the whole story (maybe it's to do with the source of the protein?)

ooh dear, I keep telling people it has less, but thinking about it now I remember discussing it with the vet and talking about fibre - eeeek! thank you for pointing it out. :oops:

I am also still wondering about which is best for their teeth - excel is definitely harder, I wonder if it makes a difference. I was at Podlet and Cords earlier today and we were talking about this, when their Mr Binks was on excel he didn't need dentals done anywhere near as often as when they started feeding him SS, so he's back on excel. I'll be interested to see if they notice a difference again.

Ooooh that's interesting, I hadn't heard that before, only the thing about SS being better to prevent caecatrophs!! Excel is definitely harder isn't it.

[
I am also still wondering about which is best for their teeth - excel is definitely harder, I wonder if it makes a difference. I was at Podlet and Cords earlier today and we were talking about this, when their Mr Binks was on excel he didn't need dentals done anywhere near as often as when they started feeding him SS, so he's back on excel. I'll be interested to see if they notice a difference again.[/quote]

Bev how are Podlet and Cord? Haven't seen them on here for ages..and how's Poppy? Would love an update.

ooh I've figured out what's wrong with Maa! :) I've noticed her stomach gets bad after a rainy day, when she's been shut in her hutch and not had a couple of hours out in the garden. She's in a 2x4 double and with the stairwell there is literally no room for her to lay down fully, or hop more than one hop - and all I can fit in is a litter tray.

She's also forced to drink out of a bottle now, since I can't fit a water dish in anywhere - I couldn't even fit the bedroom partition in as her litter box was too big - but she can't lie down in a smaller one. She used to drink a lot more when she had a dish - sometimes 3 bowls a day.

A lady in welfare's mentioned her nethie had stomach problems - and their hutch is way too small as well, so I think it's adding up to how on earth do I find the room and the money for a bigger hutch for Maa? :? But I've got to for the sake of her health - I'm sure of it :(

She's never had a problem before anyway - only since being cooped up - I originally bought the 4x2 double for Tia, only things all changed when Maa had to be seperated from the girls in the shed, and Tia and Benny didn't bond.

Yes I know - I should bond her with Benny and buy them a playhouse :roll: *wibble* Benny loves his hutch though - A 2x5 double gives him masses of space as he's smaller than Maa - no I can't swap them as he'd hate her tiny hutch too :(

Dang it! :evil: In the last 8 months I've spent over £1500 on hutches and cages, and I still keep wanting more/better/bigger - only my savings are all gone now. Should have invested in a crystal ball first :roll:

Back