• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Top up questions on bonding bunnies

podlet

Warren Scout
Hello there,

Firstly, thanks to all for the useful threads on bonding bunnies -- very useful and much appreciated! My fiance and I are reeeeally excited about getting another bunny to keep Mr Binks company and have a few specific questions that I thought I would ask.

1) Neutral territory?
What exactly counts as 'neutral territory'? We live on the middle floor of a wooden floored victorian conversion, which means that Binks mostly keeps to the lounge, and bedroom with the occassional mad sprint down the passage when we are spending too much time in the kitchen and not loving rabbits. We don't have a garden nor much other space, would a kitchen, bathroom or spare bedroom do?

2) Bad eating habits?
Mr Binks has an entrenched habit of only eating his Excel Supa Rabbit pellets and fresh greens. No matter how hard his previous parents tried to tempt him with tasty hay, or how hard we tried when we rehomed him, it truly seems as if he would rather starve than resort to eating hay. We are well aware of the importance of hay in a bunny's diet, and were wondering, if we get a girl bunny, would she pick up Binks' bad habit and turn her nose up at the hay?

3) Hutch size?
Mr Binks, and any potential girlfriend, will spend most of their time out of their little indoor hutch because my fiance works from home. We were just wondering, how big does a bunny hutch have to be to accommodate two bunnys for sleeping purposes? Mr Binks often stretches out in his 1 metre hutch, but with an irresistable girl bunny sharing house with him, I can only image he would want to snuggle up, right?

4) Neutering age?
Mr Binks is nearing 6 years old. Not sure what age his soon to be girlfriend will be, but no doubt will be younger. Mr Binks is not yet neutered and we are planning on sorting that out asap. Does neutering at such a late age have any negative implications for our much loved bun?

5) Human interaction?
For me, this is the trickiest question. Mr Binks is the most adorable and interactive bunny and we love him madly. I often find my fiance on the floor chinning the bunny in return (a sight to see :) ). Would Binks lose his high levels of interaction with us when he has a lady bun around?

6) Time-frame?
Would it really be alright, as per Cheryl's thread, to begin looking at bonding Binky two weeks after being neutered at such an old age. Or would we need to wait longer? I have heard 6 weeks as the standard.

Many thanks to any all who take the time to respond to these questions!
Really looking forward to getting our bun a girlfriend and to giving another bun a home!

Lee & Cord (and Binks), xx

Your bathroom or Kitchen will be fine. Neutral territory is anywhere that Mr Binks hasn't been and sent marked. When his pal arrives she may pick up some of his habits and he may pick up hers but if you leave hay put all the time then they both may eat it. For a sleeping place you would be better to buy a large dog crate perfectly suitable for two bunnys.
again Mr Binks may be more interesdted in his new girlfriend than you for a while but that should get less as his friend gets to know you and she wants attention as well.

After neutering the recommended time frame is 6 weeks just to allow the hormones to die down. All sperm will be gone after 2 weeks so you can bond after this time but your lady bun may get pestered.

All the best and good luck in finding mr binks a pal XX

Thanks Phill!

Binks' current hutch is 100 x 50 x 50 cm.
I have looked at some dog cages on the net and they are roughly the same size.

Would this be ok?

Lee :)

If you have space you could always get a second the same size and join them together.

It sounds like they're going to spend the majority of the day outside the cage so have plenty of exercise. The only thing would be that bunnies can be quite active at night and there isn't as much room to play with two of them. It would be big enough for sleeping in though :)

Tam

Back