• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petting and scratching

daisy

Young Bun
When I pet Lucky in the mornings, he sometimes scratches at the floor furiously, just for a matter of seconds at a time. He does this every day, about 5 times within the 5 minutes that I pet him. Does this mean he doesn't want to be pet?
~Daisy

well, does he seem aggressive when you pet him? does he run away or anything like that? maybe its just a reflex.. ya know, when you scratch a dog in a certain place he scratches his leg up and down. but, im not an expert by all means, but if he seems fine towards you i wouldnt worry about it too much x :)

No, hes not really aggressive. He likes to walk around a little, but not run. He's starting to do it more often than usual. Thats why I'm a little worried. I thought I might be petting him too hard or something :? , or he just doesn't like it at all. Thats really the only time I see him do that. He used to scratch at the floor of his cage before he lies down, but that's about it. And he hasn't done that for well over a month now. What do you think?
~Daisy

If a rabbit doesn't like something it will move away - or turn it's back on you. Unless you've pinning him to the floor so he can't escape I don't think he dislikes it.

Rabbits idea of grooming is a little different to peoples.. digging at the fur, nibbling and combing with the teeth etc. Sometimes a rabbit will groom around you if your grooming them - I'd say he's either doing his version of that or it's just a little quirk of his :D

Some bunny favouties are:

Nose rubs - stroking from the nose up to the ears and sometimes along the ears.
Bum scratches - the bit above the tail that get tufts of fur - comb through with you fingers.
Along the back - from neck to bum in long slow strokes.
The jaw - some bunnies like having the edges of their jaw rubbed

:D

Tam

well, if he's not aggressive i really wouldnt worry about it at all. im sure he would let you know if he didnt want to be petted hun x :D

Back