• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit 'talking'

Herbert

Young Bun
I know the meaning of most of the signs/noises that my rabbit does, however, there is one that I do not know. He will lie on the bed looking at me moving his mouth. It almost appears as if he is talking! There does not appear to be any sound. It is not teeth grinding in pain nor is it 'purring'. Anyone in the know?

I have no clue :? ! I was going to suggest him grinding his teeth because he is so happy and content, but you said it wasn't that so now I'm stumped!! Maybe somebody will be able to un-code this language!

Charliesangel said:
I have no clue :? ! I was going to suggest him grinding his teeth because he is so happy and content, but you said it wasn't that so now I'm stumped!! Maybe somebody will be able to un-code this language!

If I do it to him he does it back!

Perhaps he is talking, but it's such a high frequency it's inaudible!

You don't have a talking dog that could translate do you? :lol:

He hasn't just ducked his nose down to his tail first has he? Buns eat one of the two types of poop they produce. They get it as it's produced the chew on it whilst looking slightly contemplative.

On the other hand he could just be doing a quiet teeth pur.

I've also seen my buns chewing whilst sleeping and twitching like they are running - presumably dreaming...

Tam

Tamsin said:
He hasn't just ducked his nose down to his tail first has he? Buns eat one of the two types of poop they produce. They get it as it's produced the chew on it whilst looking slightly contemplative.

I've also seen my buns chewing whilst sleeping and twitching like they are running - presumably dreaming...

Tam

just what i was thinking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tamsin said:

Tam

No he's not eating poop. He normally flops onto his side, lies there for a minute or so, sits up straight so he is looking directly at me then starts 'talking' for a bit. If I do it back to him (I suppose I shouldn't really because I don't know what I am saying!) he does it back again. Maybe its just a sign of a happy bunny.

Rabbits def dream although I've only ever seen it with my current rabbit. I got quite a shock when I first saw the twitching and jerking as I thought he was having a fit.....also i can't believe how quickly he falls asleep. Running around/into everything one minute and sawing logs the next! He fell asleep on me the other day with his feet near my mouth and kept kicking me in the chops as he was dreaming. I didn't have the heart to wake him....bless.

cheeky used to do that . It was as if he was eating (even though he wasn,t) - it seems to be a sign of utter contentment - happiness just as the rolling is . You have a happy bunny there . :D

gina paul said:
cheeky used to do that . It was as if he was eating (even though he wasn,t) - it seems to be a sign of utter contentment - happiness just as the rolling is . You have a happy bunny there . :D

Yes, that's what he does.....oh I'm glad he's so happy!

hehe, he's probably on a website just like this called "humans United" telling all his bunny mates that his human keeps moving it's mouth at him and not making a sound!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buttonmoon said:
hehe, he's probably on a website just like this called "humans United" telling all his bunny mates that his human keeps moving it's mouth at him and not making a sound!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep....he's probably just 'aving a larf at me! The only noises I have heard him make are grunts when he is eating and honking when he wants a bit of loving. Bit like my hubby really :lol:

Yep....he's probably just 'aving a larf at me! The only noises I have heard him make are grunts when he is eating and honking when he wants a bit of loving. Bit like my hubby really :lol:[/quote]

:lol:

Smokey used to do that, like he was chewing gum, but he actually had teeth problems and as soon as he started the chewing gum mouth, I knew he was needing a dental as his teeth were bothering him.

bunnyhuggger said:
Smokey used to do that, like he was chewing gum, but he actually had teeth problems and as soon as he started the chewing gum mouth, I knew he was needing a dental as his teeth were bothering him.

Herbie hasn't had a problem with his teeth so far (touch wood) and he was checked by the vet a few weeks ago and all is fine. I know what you are describing though as one of my old rabbits had teeth problems and you could always tell when it was time to have them ground down. This is totally different. I have had him for nearly three years and it is something that he has always done....normally when he is relaxed. Maybe it is simply contentment.

my late french lop thumper used to do this with me to she wasnt eating making any noise as u say if i did it with my mouth she did it straight after then stopped until i did it again it was cool like we were chatting lol and she always watched for me doing this

lisa

mini lop1 said:
my late french lop thumper used to do this with me to she wasnt eating making any noise as u say

if i did it with my mouth she did it straight after then stopped until i did it again it was cool like we were chatting lol and she always watched for me doing this

lisa

Thank goodness I'm not the only nutter who's done this with a rabbit! Wonder what we were saying :lol:

Back