• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mate died - help please?

Hi

I had two bunnies a 8 year old neutered male and a female about 5/6. They have always been together untill last night when the male bunny died :(

What should I do now?? Should I leave poor Katie female on her own??
What kind of bun would I get for her??
A young male?
An older male??

Any help or advice please?

I feel so sorry for her ........ she stayed glued to the male Richie's side keeping in warm until the end ...................

Karen

Sorry to hear your bunny died. Binky free Richie.

As for Katie, Bobby's girlfriend died at xmas and he was looking really listless. He's 4 and neutered. I took the decision to rehome a female and was very lucky that they bonded almost immediately and he's much happier now. I chose Nougat because she's a beautiful girl and about the same size as Bobby. If I had to do it again though, I would take the bunny to a rescue and let them choose their own companion.
Hope this helps.

I'm so sorry Karen. It's devatstating when we loose our bunnies.

It's good that Katie saw her friend dead. She will understand where he is - it's much more difficult for them when their mate dies away from them as they keep expecting them to return.

As for age, size etc it won't matter at all. The best bet would be for you to take her to your local rescue and see who she likes the look of. They know who they like and it's not always the owners choice!

Leave her for a week before finding her a new friend to give her time to grieve. Don't leave it long enough for her to become depressed.

Most rescues will help you with the bonding process (as although rabbits are social animals they are also territorial).
Good luck with your new boy and console yourself with the fact that your little man had a long and happy life. x

so sory to hear about richie :( i think a friend would be good for her, maybe take her to a rescue as donna says, rabbits love company especially when they've always had a partner

Im so sorry about your bunny, sometimes the best thing for a bunny is a new friend after there old one has died XXXX

Sorry to hear about your old boy :( You could maybe try bonding her with a male bunny closer to her age?

that's very sad, sorry that happens to you and your bunny. Having said that, 8 yr. is an excellent life for a rabbit.

I would just go to get any rescue male rabbit that will be attached to you, and leave the age factor aside.

The only rule of thumb that I use when I pick a new rabbit is to hold them. If he lets me hold him, that's a tame rabbit, if not, that's an impatient rabbit. I have success w/ this rule in the past 3 rabbits.

If your next male rabbit is young, he will lose his upcoming female companion, and eventually, you'll have to find a new female companion for this upcoming male rabbit, but that's part of the circle of life, it's natural.

If you get her an older male rabbit, say 3 - 4 yr. old, there is no way of knowing this upcoming one can out live your current female rabbit.

So if I were to choose, I'll pick a younger male rabbit for your female companion.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost Richie :( Getting Katie a new friend is a good idea, good luck on your search :D

Have you found the perfect friend yet? There are so many bunnies in rescue waiting for a home like yours Good Luck

Back