• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEW LAP????

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Am I right in thinking that a dew lap is the area of fur at the bottom off a rabbit that i would discribe as a hoovercraft skirt???

My bunnies have them, are there any way off getting rid off or smaller and are they a thing that happens to all bunnies, and why do they happen?

sorry for all the questions.

dewlaps r what females get under the chin, usually as they get older or sometimes or if they get over weight, this is sometimes used to make nests with, they dont go once they go them but is nothing to worry about
here is one of my bunnies with one, she had a large dewlap i think hers is so big because at one point her was fat it not as big as it used to be because her has lost her weight
you can also see in my avatar that another one has got one
9306be55.jpg

Close, dulaps are a fold of skin much like your describing but the bit under the chin - most noticable in females.

Some rabbits have more obvious folds than others but it can be a sign of being over weight. Do you have a photo of your bunnies? What is there general body weight like?

Tam

post subject

well right idea wrong end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info, yes she`s female but i wouldn`t say she`s overweight her age is 2 1/2 and she was spayed last friday, so i`ll know i`ll have to watch the weight now.

I`ll take a photo of her and i`ll try and psot it, will have to read how to do it first.

cheers

Back