• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing the cage

janine

New Kit
Hi, Just wondered if anyone has got any tips on how to stop my baby rabbits chewing the wood on the run. I have bought mineral stones which they won't touch and a little ball, which they don't really bother with. They are approx 6-7 weeks old.

Have you tried giving them odd bits of wood to chew? Apple wood is great if you can get any XX

I will have a look out for apple wood, anything is worth a try, I'v had them for 5 days, at the rate they are going, Ill need a new run within 2 weeks!!

You can give them allsorts of bits of wood to chew just make sure it's not treated with toxic stuff first, also cardboard rolls with hay stuffed in them are good and boxes filled with hay and grass keep them amused for hours XX

Lots of toys - mine love a carboard box filled with newspaper/yellow pages/magazines, anything they can rip up and tear to pieces.

There are also some good willow/weave toys on http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/storeframe.htm that make great distractions and I think they must taste better to chew on than normal wood!

Caz

Hi Janine - mine live in my lounge and without plenty of things to distract them they eye up the skirting boards for a quick nibble!

My two love carboard boxes (especially amazon ones for some odd reason), toilet roll tubes, yoghurt pots, eggs boxes, ping pong balls, and of course the normal array of shop bought bunny toys. I also seem to buy a lot of bird toys as they are wooden and hang up in the cage and the buns chew them but they are fairly expensive. Just find safe things form around the house for them to destroy!

Back