• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding un-spayed female?

emmalouise

New Kit
I'm sure this question has probably been asked many times before but I have a two year old doe, I would love to try to bond her with a neutered buck but she hasn't been spayed so I was worried it might not be possible to bond her.

I talked it over with my vet, who seemed to think it would be ok, and as she is two I'm worried she might be too old to be spayed now.

Any advice would be sssooo appreciated.

First of all, 2 years is not old and I would definitely get her spayed asap!

And secondly, I have a neutered male with an entire female and it works fine. But Pippa is totally non-aggressive, rarely hormone driven etc.

Vera

I introduced an unspayed female to my neutered male just after Christmas and they were firm friends within a week. They are so in love now, it's very sweet. Obviously though, every bunny's different.
Best of luck!

Yes, I've not had her spayed yet as she is very docile and seems perfectly calm and happy - so I didn't think there was any need. I do think she is a bit lonely sometimes, and would love to see her running around the garden with a friend - it seems so big just for her!

Thanks for your help, do you think rescues would be ok that she's not spayed? Or is it just dependent on which male she gets on with at the rescue?

The rescue centre I went to didn't ask if Bobby was neutered or not. They basically just let me take Nougat. Again, I think it depends on the rescue, but I wouldn't think there'll be a problem.

hi

I believe it's recommended to get female rabbits spayed before the age of 3 as they have a very high chance of developing cancer of the reproductive organs after that age, unless spayed.

However many rescues do not bother to spay females, and pair them successfully with neutered males, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find a partner for your girl.

If you wanted to spay her for health reasons above (and 2 is young for a rabbit) it would maybe be best to wait until she's fully recovered from the op (about 2 months) before finding her a boyfriend, just incase they have a few scuffles whilst getting to know each other.

Edana and the boys :love:

I had an un-spayed female with a neutered male and they doted on each other. If Id have known how serious ovarian cancer was in female buns though at the time, would have had her done. :wink:

Thanks for all your help - I don't think i fully realised the health reasons for spaying, and will look into it - probably give my vet a call. But am excited that Benji should have a new friend very soon :D

emmalouise said:
Thanks for all your help - I don't think i fully realised the health reasons for spaying, and will look into it - probably give my vet a call. But am excited that Benji should have a new friend very soon :D

Quite right!! cant wait to see the piccies when you get a new bun!! :D

have you been to any rescues to meet any bunnies to be a friend for your bun! where abouts in london are you? ARC is in twickenham, so if that isnt too far for you to come you could come and meet some of our rabbits. we could bond your rabbit for you! we do reccomend that you get your girl spayed for health reason, although she will bond fine with a neutered male. we have recently had a 7 year old rabbit spayed!

www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

sophie

Sophie, you didn't say that when Phyllis was spayed (the 7 year old) she had a huge uterine tumour.
Our vet spays literally hundreds of rabbits for us. EVERY SINGLE one aged 4 or more has the start of uterine cancer. She has even seen the start of it in 2 year olds. Most vets don't spay as many rabbits as ours does and don't realise just how common this cancer is.
We have only lost 3 or 4 in 12 years rescue whilst spaying and they all had undetected health problems. Do make sure she is not too overweight before operating as the anaethetic gets absorbed into the fat and takes longer to clear from the body (making recovery slower).
Good luck!

sophiemarmion said:
have you been to any rescues to meet any bunnies to be a friend for your bun! where abouts in london are you? ARC is in twickenham, so if that isnt too far for you to come you could come and meet some of our rabbits. we could bond your rabbit for you!

Hi Sophie and Donna,

I'm based in East London but Twickenham isn't really too far - I think you guys are the nearest rescue to me anyhow!

I would love to visit ARC to meet some of your rabbits - I've checked out your website too and it seems there are some very handsome chaps there :wink:

Nala is around 2yrs old and has just been spayed.. she recovered really well and seems so much happier since being done.

hi emma! which boys bunnies did you like???

Zebedee looks absolutely gorgeous! Really similar to Benj, and I also thought Bill looks lovely - very handsome. I will definately have to make my way over to you soon!

And also those links are really informative - sometimes it seems difficult to get past really basic advice on this subject on the internet! (aside from the forum - of course) If I'd known the risk of uterine cancer was a fact rather than just a slight chance Benji'd have been spayed ages ago! I wish my vet had been more informative also :?

Back