• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

aggressive doe

Hi all!

Two days ago I finally moved my aggressive doe (Ashlee) into a larger cage. She was in the most pathetic excuse for a cage ever. she now lives in a rather nice cage. I was hoping that when I got her a bigger cage she would be nicer. She is still to aggressive for me to put my hand in her cage. I also can't pet her when she is in or out of her cage. She is not spayed yet but is there anything I can do to get her to sweeten up? She already gets 1 hour+ outside of her cage.

P.S. I neutered my buck last thursday and he is doing great!

Get her spayed asap.. this may well help a great deal.. altho it might not solve it all totally. when she is out of her cage sit on the floor and talk to her but dont go to touch her.. let her come to you for a sniff. It will take a long long time but she may just realise that you arent a threat. My doe still wont let me touch her or pick her up without a fight. She isnt aggressive anymore since she was spayed but will run away.. but she is improving slowly.. i limit how much i have to pick her up and offer her food from my hand etc.

I would also say that the first step is neutering to take those hormones away! :wink: Try also to give her a little more exercise as well as plenty of stuff to do in the cage.

Vera

I 'll get going on her spay. Thanks for the advice.

Could Someone give me some of the risks in spaying a doe?

Does Anyone have bonding suggestions for my other Doe Aspen and my neutered buck Willie?

Aspen'n'company said:
I 'll get going on her spay. Thanks for the advice.

Could Someone give me some of the risks in spaying a doe?

Well the main risk is anaesthetic and shock id say. They are often subdued after being spayed and can be difficult to encourage to eat again so this can also lead to problems. You need to be prepared with some syringes and possibly a sachet of recovery food from your vet or some pellets that you can mash with water if she doesnt start to eat/drink soon after her op.
What area are u in? someone might be able to recommend a good vet to you if you dont know any

hi

Oh good I can bang on about pain relief again :lol:
In my opinion the biggest problem with spay recovery is the pain stops the doe from eating, and then she gets gut stasis, or abdominal adhesions, which can kill her if not tackled early...
If she has metacam for pain relief once the sugery painkillers have worn off (after about a day) she will be inclined to eat and, most importantly, drink (pref from a bowl of water rather than reaching up to a bottle) - and then she'll simply get better, if she doesn't chew her stitches out (vets often give internal stitches and glue for the skin, to avoid stitches being chewed).
I'm told that extra painkillers aren't given as the doe might get too energetic if she's not hunched in pain, but that seems inhumane to me - and what's wrong with keeping her in a smallish cage for a couple of days instead?

Edana and the boys :love:

when Nala was spayed i asked about pain relief and they said she wouldnt need any as the one they give during op lasts 24/48hrs cant remember which. She started to eat just fine without additional pain relief.. i know other people's does have been different tho.

I am in the US so I can't take advice on any vets you guys reccomend. i will get to spaying her ASAP.

P.S. I had aspen and willie out yesterday and it looks like bonding them will be a sinch. they snuggled for a bit but then they both got scared and I put them away before a fight broke out (Aspen would win).

Thanks for your help!

I know this posting is a few weeks old, but I'm a new member!

I have a female rabbit, who will be spayed on Thursday. Reading this, has prompted a couple of questions.

1) Chris, you mentioned that your rabbit calmed down a little after her op. My rabbbit is quite aggressive and had to be seperated from her bonded female pal. When can I expect to see some change in behavour after her op? (assuming she does change??)
2) She currently has a one up/down hutch. Will she be ok to climb the ladder after her op?
3) My garden isn't rabbit proofed, so the only time I can spend time close to her, is when sat in her run/pen (which is big enough to do so). However, at the moment, as soon as I step in or even put my hand (with or without treats!) in there, she just growls/grunts and gets ready to bite. Any tips on this?

Cristian

My Marmalade was very aggressive before she was spayed.
I still have the scars on my hand from trying to take her food bowl out for washing :( . And as for trying to lift her out of the hutch, you did so under your own death warrant :lol: . She also grunted for england.
Within days of her op she'd quietened down big style, you can now pick her up and give her cuddles and she's become very friendly :thumb:

I kept Marmalade inside her pet carrier for the first 2 days, as she didn't feel up to moving around. Kept her warm and quiet. For the next 3 days after that she stayed in a small area of the kitchen to limit her movement. As soon as she'd seen the vet (1 week), she then went back into her hutch. Last week she progressed to free range running with 2 of my males :D

Hope this helps

Thanks for the prompt response. Your comments are quite encouraging! She'e the brightest of our three rabbits, and until hitting her "grumpy teenage" stage, was the most social (and nosey) one!

The top section of her hunch can be closed off, so I may leave her in there to start with and then open up the steps/hatch when she looks a little more lively.

Ideally, I'd move her into my garage, but my male rabbit is still in there recovering from his op. I thought it best not to let her pick up any male scents, especially after what's being done to her!

Cristian

I waited for my female to recover from her op before taking my final bun to have his op.

One grumpy bunny feeling sorry for itself is enough, I couldn't cope with 2 at the same time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neither could my bank balance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to add an update, for anyone with an aggressive doe.

Mine was spayed 14 days ago and you can really see the difference. The first few days, she continued to grunt/growl when I went to pick her up for her antibiotics, but is fine now. This maybe where we've got more used to each other & bonded a little more? But I let her out in the big garden run today, the last time I did this, she growled/grunted and got ready to attack me when I stepped into the run to pick her up. Today was fine, instead of aggression, I had inquisitive sniffing & nudging. I even held & stroked her for a while!

A few weeks ago, I was reluctant to let my young kids too close to her, for fear of nipping, but today she happily sniffed my 3 year old daughter!

Cristian

This is good news, our Hermione is going in for her op in about 10 days. She is not too bad behaviour wise but I am looking forward to progressing the bonding and she can be a bit grumpy, not to mention the weeing :!: . :)

Back