• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Darcy's eye - please look at pic!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed last night Darcy had a wet patch by his right eye. I thought I'd wait till this morning as he had been washing his face and thought it might just be that. But its still there this morning - what is it?

I'm going to call the vets now for an appt. He is still running around as normal and nudging me. He's gobbled up some of his food too.

He closed his eye because of the flash but you can see the wet pacth....

Darcy068.jpg

Hiya Romy

dont panic, he may just have something in his eye, or had something that irratated the eye so it weeps.
It could be a minor infection, or tear duct trouble, or even teeth.
It may not require treatment at all, but the Vet can advise and I am sure it is nothing too serious.

Let us know how he gets on at the Vets,
love to you, and snuggles for Darcy

Thanks Adele! I've just made an appt with the vet for Saturday morning. Fingers crossed its just nothing. xxxxxxxxxxx

He is acting like normal so I'm quite hopeful. xxx

Hiya Romy

Don't panic gal as Adele mentioned this is quite common in bunnies but best get it checked out by your Vet anyway.

Buffs has had this on several occasions and sometimes it can just be a bit of dust thats irritated the eye from Hay or tear duct blockage.

Normally I bathe with cold tea which can be very soothing and I have some creams which the Vet has prescribed which seems to clear it up within a few days.

Hope this helps - Sending a snuggle to Darcy.

Bearing in mind your previous posts about sneezing and a clear discharge from the nose I would make sure you mention the other symptoms when at the vets as it could be a pasturella infection (possibly of the tooth roots).

Caz

Yes thanks Caz, I was worried about that in case there is a link. He hasn't sneezed since March so I'm really hoping its not. I did say to the vet about the wet patch when I phoned this morning as well. Fingers crossed xxxx

Ralf's was like that a couple of months back, but it was fine after a couple of days. (think he'd been sat in a draft or something). Try not to panick, Im sure he'll be fine in a day or two. :wink:

Err, did not see this post before I replied to the other one about his nose. Yes I would take him to the vet. But it may just be a weepy eye - Sylvia had this a lot before Oli came along to clean her. Don't worry though. b-m

Good luck at the vets Darcy.

Zippy's eye weeps from time to time and so does Marleys (although Marley's eye is deformed). I am sure it will be nothing, don't worry chick.

Thanks everyone! You were all totally right!! I've come home tonight to find a dry-eyed Darcy!! :D I'm still going to take him to the vet on saturday just in case xxx

That’s what Toby has. I wouldn’t worry too much. Some rabbits just have weepy eye(s) for no reason, and it can appear at any time of their life. All rabbits will sneeze now and again, because of dust. As long as they don’t have a snotty nose, and sneezing non stop and spitting food out then I wouldn’t overly worry – but I would go to your vet to be on the safe side. :)

Dylan's had that too - the vets gave me some eye drops which helped a bit but the vets advised me when he went back for a check up that they can get easily irrated in their eyes even with a simple bit of a draft so don't worry, as mentioned just bathe it, but make sure you wipe his fur after and it's dry through before he goes near the outdoors (don't know if your bunny is inside or outside rabbit!!)

That makes sense actually as Darcy loves sleeping on the windowsill next to my bed at night. I think there may be just a tiny draft from that (not much if there is) but that could have caused it I guess.

Thanks again! xxx

Back