• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woodshavings aren't safe!!!

I am neither for nor against the use of woodchippings but I have read an item in "Living with a Houserabbit" by Linda Dykes and Helen Flack about this subject and I happen to agree with them.

Most of you have probably read this book as the 2 women are founder members of the RWA (or The British Houserabbit Association as it used to be known). The RWA does and has done, for many years, stirling work to promote the rights and well being of rabbits (in the UK and further afield) and I'm sure most of you will agree that they only have the best interest of rabbits in mind.

According to this book the fears are based on research done on mice and rats in laboratories (these animals are different to rabbits and in labs they are usually kept in poorly ventilated containers - most of us keep our rabbits in well ventilated cages/hutches and give them daily access to home/garden).

The book also says that paper based litters have a similar potiental to release these chemicals. I haven't heard of Carefresh before (I thought is was a panty liner!!! :oops: :? :lol: ) but is it paper based???

The book is against corn-cob, hemp and clumping cat litters.

It also says that most of the controversy comes from the USA ......... I know that this has nothing to do with rabbits but does anybody remember the US report that European salmon had too high level of certain metals, until it was discovered that this research was funded by an American salmon producing company ........ my o/h is a research chemist and he can bore for Germany (he's German!) on the subject of similar false positives (bascially finding what you're looking for even if it's not there ........a bit like thinking you've found Mr Right when he's really just another toad - come on, we've all done it at some stage!! :lol: :lol: ) .....of course I'm not going to ask him for other examples as once he starts talking about chemistry it's hard to find the off switch :roll: :lol: .

What I'm trying to say is that I'm a bit sceptical .....how often do things change from being safe to dangerous?

Once the buns don't eat woodchipping it may well be safe to use ....... don't know about rodents though.

conny said:
The book also says that paper based litters have a similar potiental to release these chemicals. I haven't heard of Carefresh before (I thought is was a panty liner!!! :oops: :? :lol: ) but is it paper based???

http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH9614&cat=217

carefr.jpg

It is paper based but in my case it didn't control the odour enough and got trekked all over the house (also pricy for such small bags).

Megazorb http://www.megazorb.co.uk/about_megazorb.htm is another paper based litter that is designed for horses so more economical to buy.

I used compressed sawdust pellets (cat litter) and as their litter trays are in well ventilated areas have seen no problems. This litter is also supposed to be low on phenolic compounds because of the treatment the wood has undergone.

Caz

I use wood shavings direct from a joiners.I know pine shavings are not to be used,neither are hardwood shavings and I try and stick to that.I have presently 14 buns , 12 of whom all use the shavings ontop of newspapers, then topped with hay or sometimes straw (more so in winter) I have tried Megazorb once as its available from the horse feed shop I use at £5 for a 20 ltrs bag.It was o.k. as far as absorbency goes but smelt funny to me.The buns didnt notice any difference and as I get 40ltr bags of shavings for free i've stuck to them. :)

My buns have wood shavings but like adele they live outside so well ventelated, But for my rats hamster and chinchilla i use newspaper they do nibble it but they don't munch loads. But pine shavings can be very bad (it's the resin vapour).

I have stopped using wood shavings now for the past several months. It wasn’t making Toby’s eyes water but I suppose it can be dusty. HOWEVER I never did experience problems with it, but I can see how there could be and I stopped using it. I use newspaper at the bottom, lots and lost of shredded bills :lol: (I also find Argos paper is very soft too :p ) and hay or straw on the top....so thats about 3 layers! :shock:

Back