• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OUCH!!!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I'm really uspet and can't stop crying. I'm such a useless rabbit mummy. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was sat down with Darcy and Bridget on either sides of the gate inbetween my kitchen and living room, stroking them. They hadn't tried to bite or scratch eachother thru the bars so I thought maybe they might be okay together. So when Bridget climbed over my lap to get near Darcy it was all fine for one split second....then all hell broke lose. :cry: :cry: I have never heard two rabbit growling going for eachother ever before!! They've got to eachother before but when I shoulted stop and pulled them apart they stopped. Not this time. There is fur everywhere - just bridget's though poor thing. Darcy is so vicious!! I've never ever ever ever ever thought my little rabbit could be so angry!! I pulled him off Bridget who was going after him just as badly but didn't seem to get any fur and Darcy lunged for my thigh and I've got two nasty bites.

They are separated again and Darcy is all loving to me - Bridget is going a bit mad running about in the kitchen. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just feel so uselss and **** :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ohh Romy, I can not offer any advice at all, as I have never tried it, but please do not blame yourself. You are a good mum, I've seen your posts and you care so much for your buns and sounds like you offer them all the love you have and more. I'm sure with time and patience things can work out. Fingers crossed for the three of you. x

Romy,

Dont worry honestly this is just a part of a long process. I havent bonded two rabbits but Mitsy was a long ongoing process with us and she still has her moments!

Ive had a few knicks from her out the blue when ive gone up to rub her nose and shes interpreted it as a attack n jumped out. Its ok tho because when they r reassured they calm down.

You only have to read Tree's post apart her tough bonding experience to realise that it takes time and now hers are loving each other!

Id perhaps take it back a step with the bonding and have them seeing each other thro the bars till they know each other better like that maybe. Id take the attack as a sign it was too early for them to be out together.

Darcy cleary is the egotistical male all jealous about another bun takin over his patch and nipped u to le u kno he's mad at u for sharing ur attentions :lol: :roll: He'll get used to it and then be grateful for his girlf

romy honey calm down!! i dont mean to be rude honey but they are rabbits, and your darcy has had no reason to act like that before but now he has, the truth is rabbits can be very lovely but they can also be very vicious but this is normall rabbit behavior...they are territorial....

just take it really really slowly and if you are going to try bonding you really do need neutral area, not an area they sort of share....

sorry about your hand did you get the gloves :D :D

if you would like some help with them i could come round one weekend and give you a hand with the buns or maybe bring them here and use this as a neutral space to help bond them!!!!

i hope i havent sounded harsh that was not the intent but darcy is just being a bun!!!

p.s you are a great bunny mum!!!! but you need to slow down a bit with the bonding thats all...

Eve x

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww Romy! :shock: Please please dont blame yourself.. you are a fantastic bunny mummy! You have taken on a new rabbit and trying to bond them which is not always an easy task. Im sure Darcy didnt mean to bite you either.. just the heat of the moment :( Go have a drink babe and try not to worry... its still early days yet.. and there is always people on here who would be happy to help with the bonding if it carries on being so difficult to get them to love each other.
I hope you leg is ok.. go look after yourself. Wish i was near you right now.. id gladly pop over for a cuppa and chat to help cheer you up.
HUGS!

Thanks a lot guys. I'm just feeling really **** at the minute that I can't even clean Bridget's bum!!! how useless is that! I'm going to keep them separated dont' worry. I think I was just shocked at the viciousness of it. I've only ever had one rabbit at time so this is all very new and scarey at the minute.

Romy said:
Thanks a lot guys. I'm just feeling really **** at the minute that I can't even clean Bridget's bum!!! how useless is that! I'm going to keep them separated dont' worry. I think I was just shocked at the viciousness of it. I've only ever had one rabbit at time so this is all very new and scarey at the minute.

Romy.. you will get there... you both have new things to get used to and it will take time... but you can do it. Dont blame yourself.. we all have things we find really hard and feel we failed at but keep working at it and soon you will be a bum cleaning expert :wink:

Eve, don't worry I'm not upset with Darcy or Bridget just with myself. Nothing they could do would stop me loving them. Just feel useless is all. I do think that that there is no way I can bond them here in the flat as no where is neutral and Darcy will always feel dominant. Maybe in a month or so I'll take you up on your offer if thats okay? Or I'll go to rescue and get them bonded there.

I think its just got on top of me today. Sorry. xxx

oh my goodness, I 'm so sorry! First of all, you're not a bad bunny mommy. These things happen, so stop crying and we're going to fix this!! :) :) :) Bridget is new to your house, and she needs some one on one attention. I know you gave her tons of it, and still are, but it sounds like she is still very nervous. I was reading your other post about cleaning her cage and it sounds like she is very stressed out! What I would do was for right now, stop trying to bring bridget and darcy together. Give her some time to really get used to the schedule, and let her know that you really love her. Then, after a while, I would start to introduce the two from a distance. Put one in a pen or something in one corner of the room, and the bun in the other corner. I dont think you should really pay any attention to them so its just a regular routine, and they dont know something is wrong. Also, try taking them out of your house, or somewhere both of them have never been. Thats all I know for sure, I hope I helped a little! awwwww, feel better and keep trying! Tell your babies to be good! :) :) :)

Aww, we're all her for you! It just takes time and patients and it gets much easier :) Your not useless, you'll get there. If it sounds like we know what we're doing its only cos we've been through all the nail biting, worrying, mistakes etc. too ;)

Tam

Diddeen said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww Romy! :shock: Please please dont blame yourself.. you are a fantastic bunny mummy! You have taken on a new rabbit and trying to bond them which is not always an easy task. Im sure Darcy didnt mean to bite you either.. just the heat of the moment :( Go have a drink babe and try not to worry... its still early days yet.. and there is always people on here who would be happy to help with the bonding if it carries on being so difficult to get them to love each other.
I hope you leg is ok.. go look after yourself. Wish i was near you right now.. id gladly pop over for a cuppa and chat to help cheer you up.
HUGS!

Thanks Diddeen it means a lot xxxx

scraps

Hi romy

my buns had a fight last saturday. it was fudge and scampie and then leo and scampie :shock:

they used to get on so well together and they really bonded. but on sat after fudge had a go at scamp, and then leo started on scamp, and ive never seen it before, but they both layed on their sides with their bellies facing and started ripping the fur out of one anothers bellies. aparently, this is where the rabbits fight over dominance and they start going for the throats!!! and i haven't re-introduced them yet and im not going to until scmpie has been neutered!! but there was fur every where - it was like someone had popped a pillow full of feathers.

id advice you to check both bunnies for scratches, as scampie had some nasty ones on his back - all healing nicely tho now :)

AWW Romy, I have only just read this thread. Please dont beat yourself up over it, the exact same thing happened with me with Ralf and Poppy, and I thought it was my fault too, as I had never had any trouble at all before, and all of a sudden I have a lionhead who HATED rabbits!!

I am determined to get there and bond them, and you will get there too!! We should bond them together!! We will get there!! :wink:

You are doing a fantastic job with both of them, and dont blame yourself. I will be on here again when I have the time to bond them in the summer, and I will be exactly the same as you - but its no-ones fault if they set out to hate each other. Adele has proved it can work with Tree's bunnies, so we will both get there Romy dont you worry petal!! :wink:

Tamsin said:
Aww, we're all her for you! It just takes time and patients and it gets much easier :) Your not useless, you'll get there. If it sounds like we know what we're doing its only cos we've been through all the nail biting, worrying, mistakes etc. too ;)

Tam

thanks. I'm sorry for being so over emotional I don't know why I am just all got to me. I feel really stupid now making such a fuss. I've had a good cry and Darcy came and licked my face. they are both lovely rabbits I couldn't not love them I just, i don't know, i just felt like I keep making mistakes. Thanks everyone and sorry again xxxx

oh, dont be sorry!!! Thats what we're here for!! :) :) Not only great advice, but tons of emotional support! I really hope you got just that too! (((hugs)))

you havent made any mistakes Romy.. not at all!
Dont worry im sure everyone panics the first time they see their rabbits fight.. i know i will if my two start when i get to put them together properly. Its scarey after loving a single rabbit for so long.. how things will turn out.. but i hope things will turn out just great in the end :D Take care Romy.. noone thinks you are acting silly or anything so dont worry about posting anything.. you know what most of us are like :wink:

Hey Romy, don't beat yourself up gal ! You are a fantastic bunny mummy and you are trying and learning the same as all of us. I am afraid I am going to be in the same situation as you and Kerri next weekend, when Ben's new girlfriend comes home :D .

Do you have a bath tub ? And has Darcy been in it ? I know Ben hates the bath - bad memories of pooey bottoms for him :lol: :lol: . But it might be a good spot to introduce them if Darcy is unnerved a bit. Just a thought . . .

have you tried that? When I read a post about that technique it caught my eye, but I wasn't too sure because I thought it would be a little too stressful for my two. If it does work, I'll have to try it with my buns, who right this minute are trying to attack eachother through the cage. Got to go stop them! One of the many joys of being a bunny mommy.... :? !!!

Charliesangel said:
have you tried that? When I read a post about that technique it caught my eye, but I wasn't too sure because I thought it would be a little too stressful for my two. If it does work, I'll have to try it with my buns, who right this minute are trying to attack eachother through the cage. Got to go stop them! One of the many joys of being a bunny mommy.... :? !!!
I haven't tried the bath thing yet no, I am just storing ideas for the week after next incase I find myself in your predicament :(. The lady who is starting the bonding for me says that it is good to unnerve them a bit at the start. I think the idea is that if you are slightly mean (in a harmless way) then it puts them on an equal footing because they are both worried by you so they will have to cuddle each other. And what is the worst that can happen - a sulky bunny for a couple of hours !! I'd get my gardening gloves and thickest sweater on and give it a go, I certainly plan to if mine fight when they get home :D.

Back