• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you wash/clean a rabbit??

I couldn't get a vet appt until tomorrow so am going to have another crack at her botty tonight. So is it safe to put Sudacrem on her then? it won't upset her if she licks it?

Im not sure about sudocrem Romy.. not sure if its safe if she ingested it. Vaseline was suggested by the vet that saw Nala so that must be ok.. and you can put it on your lips so must be eh. Read the side of the pot of sudocrem and see if it says not to eat it or anything like that.

i got some cream from the vets called dermisol, the ingredients are pretty much the same as sudocream and better than vaseline as it is also antiseptic. :) It can also be used on your lips and suitable for babies so must be ok for rabbits as long as they dont devour the whole pot!!! :? In fact sudocreams amazing stuff everyone should own a pot!!! :D

Okay, I just tried to clean her botty/genital area but she is very strong and its obvioiusly very sore as she struggled and pushed free. She let me remove the poopies but as soon I got any closer to the rest of it she flipped. I'm also worried as there is a very large swollen sack/lump there as wel which is red and sore. What is it? I'm totally ignorant of a rabbit's nether regions I have to admit.

She did let me dry shampoo her body fur and I towelled it off and brushed it off then gave a spritz of tea tree spray (thanks for that tip Adele! :D ) which seems to like and even gave me a lick afterwards!!

aaww sounds sore. Im sure the vet will sort her out tomorrow. You have got the worst off by the sounds of it.
Not sure what the lump could be but hopefully its nothing too horrid.
Good luck at the vets tomorrow.. let us know how it goes.

Thanks Diddeen, I will let you know tomorrow. The lump might just be some normal rabbit genital body part (i'm hoping) but it looks pretty sore. I'm totally ignorant of rabbit nether regions I have to admit. I feel better knowing she is going to be seen tomorrow by the vet.

Back