• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General advice on my rabbits

Hello everyone, I have two minilops that are brother and sister. We were lucky that they have had no issues when we brought them home and were bonded and happy with eachother from the get go and have remained so since. Barry was always the more dominant one, demanding grooming whenever he spots Barbara cleaning herself but she has always been happy to oblige.

However, she has recently started mounting him and demanding grooming from him whenever she sees that Barry is having a clean.

This doesn't seem to have caused an issue and both equally groom the other so I have been happy. The vet however did say that he has never had a pair of rabbits that have remained bonded throughout their whole lives and now I am worrying that their bond might get broken with none of them wanting to be the total submissive? I know I shouldn't be worrying about something that hasn't yet happened and may not but I can't help myself! They are 9 months old, both neutered and Barbara has started mounting Barry for about 6-8 weeks.

Another question I have is I have had them now for the past 6 months, they were 9 weeks old when I brought them home. They used to eat from my hand and be quite tame but they are the total opposite now. They don't come near us at all and are so timid and scared and I don't know how to gain their trust back, this has been since they were neutered which is AGES ago now. My previous rabbits have never done this at all so I am quite concerned they will never let me near them again x

Hello! I find your vets words about pairs not staying bonded strange. I've had rabbit pairs since around 1993 & yet to experience any of them falling out, they've never scrapped or needed rebonding. Obviously it can happen - I'm just not sure its so common. If the humping of Barry is not upsetting him and he is happy to reciprocate groomies I honestly wouldn't worry. My submissive buns have never been shy about asking their partner for loves.

I think baby buns are more likely to be v friendly. Take advantage of your role as food provider to win them round. Sit in their space with a few dandelions draped over your knee. In time & with perseverance they will gain confidence around you. Most rabbits with learn to at least suck up to you for food. In the meantime they have each other & an owner who cares about their welfare - its a happy starting point

Yes, when the vet said that I wasn't worried but since then when Barbara started mounting Barry I have grown to be a little concerned. I know we would be able to rebond if they did have a falling out, but I just love how they love eachother and don't want that to change. I am glad to know it is not something you have experienced and that your bunnies sometimes do the same :)

I am always sat in their space with treats, they do come and grab them from my lap but never out of my hand anymore when before they used to come bounding over at even the sound of a wrapper. As long as they are happy so am I but I do miss the cheekiness they used to have and what bot my previous rabbits had throughout their life x

As long as the rabbits are not bothered, I would just accept that they are OK with each other. Rabbit friends are always better than human friends for a rabbit. I would just keep on doing what you are doing. They are still young, and they may come round to bribery again.

I agree with what the others have said. I actually wonder how much experience with rabbits the vet has. I have been caregiver to over 80 rabbits and bonds breaking down is extremely rare and usually has a trigger. In my case one staying at the vets while the other was at home.

I tend to find single rabbits more human-sociable, understandably. I think rabbits being aloof when bonded is just a consequence that has to be accepted for giving them a bunny companion.. not with all of course, but the vast majority.

I have a pair of brother and sister lionheads and I cannot tell which one is dominant.
Mine run toward my spouse, yet run away from me until the food bowl is closer to them, unless I am sitting on the floor. I suspect it is because I pick them up for regular grooming and while they sit on my lap nicely, they do not like their feet off the ground.

Back