• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Historical broken tail?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone ever had a bunny who maybe had a broken tail prior to coming to them ( and when I say broken tail, I’m thinking right at the base, so may not be tail, but could be). And that maybe didn’t heal properly, and wasn’t treated, so causes ongoing pain/issues?

What sort of signs did you see?

Thanks in advance.

So, I touched her at the base of her right side of the tail and she rescued like I’d stabbed her (different from the normal reflex that rabbits seem to have when being touched there). Over the next 24 hours, she kept herself clean, except there, wasn’t comfortable extending her back right leg, and, with hindsight, she has always been super sensitive around there. Even when I brush her, if I brush hear that area but on the base of her back, she freaks out. I’m trying to work out if this is a part of this constantly evolving puzzle. Maybe this is why she never attempts to clean or eat her pop normally and cleans more like a cat and ‘lays’ her poop?

I guess an old injury is possible. I know Giants are prone to a variety of spinal problems. So another possibility is that the pain is referred from a pinched nerve in her lumbar spine. I know my hip pain is 100% not a hip problem but due to my spinal problem.

I expect her big dewlap also makes it hard for her to clean herself in the ‘normal’ way. She is such a good girl though as she obviously tries so hard to do it.

I guess an old injury is possible. I know Giants are prone to a variety of spinal problems. So another possibility is that the pain is referred from a pinched nerve in her lumbar spine. I know my hip pain is 100% not a hip problem but due to my spinal problem.

I expect her big dewlap also makes it hard for her to clean herself in the ‘normal’ way. She is such a good girl though as she obviously tries so hard to do it.

:love: Thanks Jane. Lots of things to think about there. You’re right, she is a good girl :love:

Back